Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 10:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

We were talking about artificial limbs in the pub last night, and how much the technology has improved over the years, one of my drinking pals had his leg removed recently and is being fitted for a new leg, a prosthetic limb I believe is the correct term.
We were only kids when my Dad lost the first two digits of an index finger on his left hand in an accident on the railway, he was devastated as he was fond of playing his banjo and his accordion, pity they didn’t make prosthetic fingers back then, who knows what musical gems we all missed, or perhaps spared if his singing was anything to go by, God rest him.

I got curious so I looked it up.
Charles Gillingham was probably the first person to make artificial limbs on a commercial basis, he recalled in his diary how, when he made his first limb, an arm for a soldier who lost it in the Boer War, the soldier took one look at it and said in disgust, “Is that supposed to be an arm?, it looks pathetic!” Gillingham was a bit deaf and thought he said prosthetic, the name stuck and artificial limbs were known forever after as "Prosthetic limbs"
Well that’s my explanation and I’m sticking to it.

Did you know Cinderella’s brother, a chap called Pete Ashe, had a wooden leg? , he was also bald.
As the Ugly Sisters were preparing to go to the ball he asked one of them for the loan of a dress (Pete was also gay) so he could go too, she would not hear of it. “Well what shall I go as then” said Pete with a tear in his one eye. “Get a tin of Golden syrup from the pantry, pour it over your baldy head, then stick your wooden leg up your arse and go as a toffee apple, problem solved”
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Hmm...aren't relatives of important figures always slightly acidic,Jem...

Re smoking-I happily chug my pipe,as I get solitary time and I'm here with my guitar,laptop and pipe. I have NO intention of giving up-SOD all the ''You'll live longer & healthier'' stuff. I've been shot,stabbed,blown-up and had IED's cause minor but annoying injuries...and I'm still here. Even Satan is cacking himself at the thought I might soon arrive and throw him out of my seat!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Pug, sounds like you are short of a Drum.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 05:47 AM

I have a set,mate! My kit tends to throw people off,because everyone thinks they can drum [as,no doubt,you know].....but my kit is set up for me-and I,am a 'sinistral'! [cue eerie,evil laughter diminishing into the distance]
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 10:32 AM

bumped
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 09:47 PM

I was wondering what the next big breakthrough in new technology will be?, or have we reached the limit now and it’s downhill from this on out?
I believe the last of the three little green lads they had locked up in Roswell since the 1950’s passed away two years ago, rest his flowery soul, they squeezed a lot of stuff from them fellas over the years, the DNA procedure, flat TV screens, internet, etc., all were thought impossible before they got their greedy hands on these clever lads from wherever. notice how it suddenly all dried up? no new sensational gadgets since.
God bless the brave little fella, he held out till the very end and would not reveal the formula for anti gravity, Lord help us if he gave them that one, they’d be off like a light contaminating every planet they landed on.

We are all doomed.

Pressure pressure, the World’s under pressure
We all want something that’s new and fresher
But this is as good as it gets, all has been invented
Still we are not happy or contented
With smokeless bars and electric cars
Black hole sightings and rockets to Mars
Robot hoovers to clean your floor
We don’t have to move our butts anymore
Just ask Google for anything you need
Turn your dead body into garden feed
The time has come for humans to step back
While robots take over and have all the craic.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

30-04-2019, 12:01 AM

Ah,but,Jem,please don't forget;
the quickest way to Mars hasn't been revealed yet!
It's ok for those yanks to get all pleased with themselves and snotty
but even now nobody knows how to ''Beam me up,Scotty''!
...and as for being chuffed with the atomic bomb,
the Zika virus came AND went,with a certain aplomb!
It took out many people,made others too weak to speak
-and when that can be done with micro viruses,is it atom bombs we seek?
Mate,don't think for a moment that humans messing with tech is done;
the buggers won't be be happy 'till they've killed all humans-every single one!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-04-2019, 09:35 PM

Indeed Pug, will we never get the message that in order to survive we have to learn to get along with each other.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-04-2019, 09:40 PM

You mentioned hell and old Nick the other day Pug, got me thinking of the old days and how the missionary priests would scare the life out of us with their tales of eternal damnation and fire, “Miserable sinners, how dare you cringe in the shelter of the almighty, ye are all doomed to hell…”

Old Nick seems to be getting lazy now, there was a time when he had to go out looking for customers, tempt them with three wishes if they sold him their souls, offer them a life of riches, wine women and song if they just signed on the dotted line, remember all the old films that were based on selling ones soul to the devil? alas all that’s gone now, sin has never been healthier than it is today, hell is bursting at the seams, temptation doesn’t work anymore, it’s only a reminder of a sin you forgot to commit, people just go out and do it anyway.
I hear Old Nick has applied for planning permission for an new wing to be added on, whereas heaven is on the verge of closing down for want of new customers.

Nick is too old and tired to handle it any longer so he’s sold off the business of collecting wicked souls to a new enterprising company run buy his eldest son Zippo, you’d be surprised how many people enjoy pain confusion and prolonged suffering, just take a glance at the Brexit threads and you’ll get an idea of what I mean.
Well why not? greedy companies never stop thinking of ways to part you from your few bob, just look at the fella freezing bodies until a cure is found for whatever killed ya, and the woman who want’s to turn us into miracle grow for the garden, for a price of course.
On the other hand heaven is practically empty now and is looking for members, watch out for special offers coming soon from his reps on Earth, something like the old days when one could buy indulgences to guarantee your place in heaven.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Jem, what an excellent piece of prose.

You are the new Alistair Cooke.

The BBC has put an archive of Alistair Cooke's Letter from America on the internet, bringing the longest running talk show of its kind to a new generation of listeners. Cooke broadcast his first of 2,869 “letters” in 1946 and missed only three weeks before retiring in 2004, a month before his death at the age of 95.1 Nov 2012

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top