Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

The mention of Zippo reminds me that I have a box of them all with Naval emblems on the front..ie USS Oklahoma City, USS Entertprise etc which I shamelessly purloined from American sailors who were willing to part from them for the price of a kiss.

The Zippo lighter has an interesting history and the Zippo lighter’s tough design made it a favorite among soldiers, and the company cleverly played up this durability in its postwar advertising. A 1960 print ad recounted a story from a retired fish and game officer about a local fisherman who caught an 18-pound pike in a New York lake, only to discover a Zippo in its stomach. To the fisherman’s amazement, the lighter lit on his first try.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64077...zippo-lighters
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Sorry for my absence.
I will try to return.
I was just sad.

I have a photo thread, it was where I was yesterday. Back to my roots - Windsor.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Soul and Light can always see
The meeting of true love and she
The silent night and I
I guess a lonely mind might see.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:55 PM

I had a Zippo for years Solo, my kids bought it for me one Christmas, it was very reliable I have to say, but it’s dumped somewhere out in the shed now as I never use it anymore, it has “Jim’ll fix it” on it, what a shame, I wouldn’t be caught dead with it on me now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Looking at a film earlier on “To Catch a Thief”, not bad. Isn’t it funny how all the actors appear to be Olympic swimmers and divers every time they enter the water, a young girl dives into the sea on the French Riviera and swims to a floating platform, then Cary Grant dives in and does the Australian crawl over to the raft, next comes Grace Kelly, again another fancy swimming stroke, and they all start talking while treading water beside the platform. So after three medal winning dives and three different Mark Spitz strokes one would swear they were watching the Olympics instead of a thriller, you never see an actor doing the dogs paddle, why is that?
Read a bit about the Father of Grace Kelly, John B. Kelly, he won three olympic medals for rowing, well he wouldn’t be an Irishman is he didn’t enjoy a good row.
He also was a multi millionaire from his brick making business, heres a tip for you Spitty next time you come across awkward customers who are slow to cough up the brass.
“Kelly developed a technique to ensure payment for his brickwork from less-than-trustworthy real estate developers. Kelly's crews would mortar a single pane of glass into each chimney they built. When new home owners would complain to realtors about smoke backing into their houses from the fireplaces, and the developers would then complain to Kelly, he would reply, "I'll take care of it when your check clears." Once paid, Kelly would send crews out to drop a brick down each chimney they'd constructed, smashing the glass panes and solving the problem”
Good idea eh?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 09:59 AM

I could never understand why a strapping lad like Johnny Weismuller. he of swinging naked through jungle trees Tarzan fame and undefeated winner of five Olympic gold medals, 67 world and 52 national titles, holder of every freestyle record from 100 yards to the half-mile, never fathomed out that beast and birds of the forest had feathers and fur for a reason.

Those reasons were to stop you getting bitten or scratched to death from everything that nature designed to bring you down to earth with a bang and show you who is boss.

The studio billed him as "the only man in Hollywood who's natural in the flesh and can act without clothes".

Fat lot of good that boast is when you are covered in poison ivy blisters or desperate to remove a venemous snake from your nether region. I suppose a friendly ape may have been an advantage providing you were on good speaking terms.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Never understood what was most important, Lions or Loins, is there such thing as a Lion Cloth?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I could never understand why a strapping lad like Johnny Weismuller. he of swinging naked through jungle trees Tarzan fame and undefeated winner of five Olympic gold medals, 67 world and 52 national titles, holder of every freestyle record from 100 yards to the half-mile, never fathomed out that beast and birds of the forest had feathers and fur for a reason.

Those reasLove yopuons were to stop you getting bitten or scratched to death from everything that nature designed to bring you down to earth with a bang and show you who is boss.

The studio billed him as "the only man in Hollywood who's natural in the flesh and can act without clothes".

Fat lot of good that boast is when you are covered in poison ivy blisters or desperate to remove a venemous snake from your nether region. I suppose a friendly ape may have been an advantage providing you were on good speaking terms.
Love your posts SOLO
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Never understood what was most important, Lions or Loins, is there such thing as a Lion Cloth?
Spitty dear boy.You are flirting with a potential scatalogical faux pas.

In ecclesiastical circles, there is an expression viz
"Touching Cloth"
Its a very specific predicament and quite frankly I am surprised this situation has been named.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Yes, I can see how a flirty naked romp around the lounge, could lead to a Touching Moment with a Scatter Cushion

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top