Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 10:30 AM

Kews Corpse Flower Flowering

On Tuesday night, something very unpleasant began to stir in the Princess of Wales Conservatory at Kew Gardens. Quietly, and without fanfare, a type of lily called the Titan arum started to swell and soar up towards the glass ceiling of the greenhouse complex, where some of the rarest and most exotic plants in the world are grown.

After several years of careful nurturing, the Titan arum had finally mustered up enough energy to put on what Kew is delicately referring to as the 'greatest sexual performance of its life'.
Growing at a rate of about a quarter of an inch an hour, the tumescence had soon reached a height of nearly nine feet, and began to unfurl.

It was then that it became clear why the Titan arum also goes by another name - the corpse flower.

Read on: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3klEGLOFg

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:13 AM

Re: Kews Corpse Flower Flowering

I saw that on the telly news a while ago. Apparently it stinks like rotting flesh. Yuck!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Mmm not the most pleasant of flowers is it
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 01:58 PM

Nor the prettiest but it's amazing how it attracts vistors

https://twitter.com/kewgardens/statu...13727692181504
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 03:11 PM

Its amazing but I think the smell might put me off a little..loved the time lapse vid Solo thanks for posting that
It never ceases to amaze me how nature can create such specimens..wonder why it has such a disgusting odour to it?
solo
UK

04-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Its amazing but I think the smell might put me off a little..loved the time lapse vid Solo thanks for posting that
It never ceases to amaze me how nature can create such specimens..wonder why it has such a disgusting odour to it?
Lovely piece on the reasons for the smell Aysa. How exciting it must have been to discover flowers like this

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lif...lant-stink.htm

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top