Join for free
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Re: Racism

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have worked in a black dominated care home, they treated me like their slave.

I also heard them call me “ the white bitch”.....they were also extremely rough with the residents.

The black staff I have worked with are extremely dominant, much more so than I have ever experienced with white people.

My question is....why do some people have to treat you like muck that’s on the end of their shoe ?

I really don’t understand it, we are all “ equal” as human beings.
I lived in the Caribbean some years .
Luckily only in hospital as a visitor . The staff were awful rough and bossy in the extreme .
Sure there must have been some nice ones but patients didn’t linger if they could help it .
Black people who had lived in the U.K. and retired in their home islands often found it quite hard to adjust .
They themselves were scorned and envied as ‘ retornees’
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I can't speak for TAT, obviously. But..

If one accepts that racism exists, the one accepts there are different races. In which case, one is creating a classification system, in which case there must (presumably) be differentiating criteria for each race. So races cannot be the same. Ergo, they are not equal.

The concept of accepting "different" does not imply more/less desirable nor superior/inferior.

Presumably "races" have historically evolved through adapting to environmental factors, which has naturally led to different geographic cultural histories?

The only real problem arises when different racial groups try to impose discrimination upon others, irrespective of which type.

I would argue that there is no such thing as "good discrimination" on the principle that in order to be pro something, one automatically is simultaneously being anti something else. And vice versa.

Hence why movements which wish to force the issue of racial equality are fundamentally flawed.

Humans are not equal by the very nature of individuality.

IMHO, the only real "final" solution is to accept this, avoid castigating anyone for their perceived differences (subject to them not being sociopathic and hence willing to abide by the agreed rules/laws of the land they choose to live in), and provide a level playing field in terms of equality of opportunity for them to survive and potentially flourish.
What is your understanding of equality? Because that is what appears to be fundamentally flawed in the discussion we are having.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I didn't get that straight away.

...you got it cos you’re “ smart”..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What is your understanding of equality? Because that is what appears to be fundamentally flawed in the discussion we are having.
Equality of opportunity is all that matters.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's a good question and one which would probably require a Socratic dialogue to bash out.

As an opening gambit I'll start with the proposition of it meaning that it's the point at which differences tend to zero.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Like trying to get into the Police force if you're white and they're on a drive to enlist more black people?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Like trying to get into the Police force if you're white and they're on a drive to enlist more black people?
I can't remember ever seeing a black policeman in my neck of the woods, so that probably doesn't happen terribly often, JBR.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 01:04 PM

No, can't say I have ever seen one either. Predominantly white male, with the occasional woman thrown in to tick the boxes.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

That is extremely important,I agree.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

14-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

As you mention it JBR....I have not seen a black officer in my part of the woods.

Never seen one in Newbury either, where my son lives,

Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top