Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Re: Are You "As Tight as a DA"?

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
I don’t set out to be wasteful with money .
However I would never eat something I didn’t fancy just to use it up .
I go off food and clothes after awhile ...nothing would induce me to wear or eat it . I enjoy buying new clothes.
Yep! This is me Ripple...

I don't treat my body as a waste disposal and only eat something to use it up. I buy a loaf of bread and there is still some of the old loaf left, into the bin the old loaf goes. If I'm cold up goes the heating, that's what it's for...

Fresh veg and fruit should be just that....'Fresh!'
So any stuff not used by the time I obtain some more, gets binned also...
I do squeeze the toothpaste tube within an inch of its life to recover the last morsels of the white gold though.... But that's just a hobby and a challenge...

Money off or sales mean nothing to me, if I need it, I buy it whatever the extra cost. I also prefer to pay more for goods than buy anything off the internet, especially Amazon! Wasting a whole day waiting for parcels to arrive is not for me, life's too short...
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
For those of more limited years, a DA was a 60s hair Style.

Being "tight" is a reference to gripping your money tightly.

This morning, it occurred to me to wonder why I bothered squeezing the toothpaste tube to get that last thread out, then I, very carefully, poured out last of the Breakfast Cereal into the new box, after which I noticed several, nearly empty, sauce bottles in the fridge.

I thought to myself "I really am Ebenezer Scrooge"

Then I turned the heating down, a degree, used up the last of the old milk bottle, before opening the new one - which will be thrown away, half used, later.

What a miser must be I!

Am I alone in this tight world?

Not tight, but cautious and I too am the same. I hate waste and to buy more than our needs will more than likely will be wasted.
Don't throw excess milk away as it can be easily frozen for up to 4 months and don't run your heating too low as that is false economy that can lead to health issues in us oldies .. we run our main living room at a luxurious 74-75F and enjoy every minute spent in there.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Not tight, but cautious and I too am the same. I hate waste and to buy more than our needs will more than likely will be wasted.
Don't throw excess milk away as it can be easily frozen for up to 4 months and don't run your heating too low as that is false economy that can lead to health issues in us oldies .. we run our main living room at a luxurious 74-75F and enjoy every minute spent in there.
Thanks ,LD, I didn't know that milk was OK for the freezer until some cooking TV guru said it this week.

As for 75 degrees, is that Centigrade or F?

cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:06 PM

I'm old so please myself, I worked for my money and I'll please myself how I'll spend it. Today it will be chocolate, tomorrow it may be whisky. I need no ones approval.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
I'm old so please myself, I worked for my money and I'll please myself how I'll spend it. Today it will be chocolate, tomorrow it may be whisky. I need no ones approval.
Have you been taking advice from 'Foxy's Book of Life'...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:17 PM

I am, probably, profligate .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:58 PM

I'm the complete opposite to tight and a bit impulsive tbh. I remember once, taking my car to be cleaned and came home with a new one. I also like to be generous towards others and have often spent my last fiver on someone.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 02:00 PM

I'm neither penny-wise nor pound-foolish. Although I grew up in poverty I'm not thrifty today when it comes to minor things but I'd be cautious if a food item is well beyond its sell-by date. Since I have a reasonably large fridge-freezer, shop groceries regularly, and only buy what I need I very rarely throw something away. Over here the waste is enormous. OTOH, I don't think that I'll save the world or that I'll see a noticeable effect in my bank account if there's a tiny rest left in the toothpaste tube. Sometimes I cut it in half to empty it completely anyway. Yet that's basically the attitude of my parents' generation.
The challenges for my generation and that of younger people are different. I pay attention to my carbon footprint, though, which means that I don't drive big cars (that are never worth the money spent on them) although I could afford them but use my bicycle a lot. Nor do I go on cruises or long-haul journeys although I could afford them, too. I do like a warm and cosy home, however, which is why I wouldn't turn the heating down just to save a penny or two.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 02:40 PM

Ted I grew up at a time where everything was scarce and nothing wasted so even now I think carefully before I spend anything and ask myself do I really need this.

Old habits die hard, I was given some money for my birthday by my son with the instruction to spend it recklessly and I am not sure how so I bought a mini greenhouse, compost and growing trays to go with the 4500 seeds the grandchildren bought me . That's about as reckless as I can get
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ted I grew up at a time where everything was scarce and nothing wasted so even now I think carefully before I spend anything and ask myself do I really need this.

Old habits die hard, I was given some money for my birthday by my son with the instruction to spend it recklessly and I am not sure how so I bought a mini greenhouse, compost and growing trays to go with the 4500 seeds the grandchildren bought me . That's about as reckless as I can get
I like the sound of your son, Meg! He knows that, sometimes, a bit of recklessness is just what you really need to enjoy life!

Good for him!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top