Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

11-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Pet sitters - what insurance covers their cost ?

I live alone, except for my 2 "special needs" dogs, who aren't suitable for kennels/boarding should/if/when I need to go into hospital.

"Pet Sitters" appear to be the answer (when/if I find someone suitable).

What insurance covers the cost of the sitters (if any), please ? Pet insurance ? House contents insurance ? Some other insurance ?

Any/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Re: Pet sitters - what insurance covers their cost ?

A friend of mine does a little pet sitting she has her own insurance cover. She is self employed and has public liability etc
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dogmad ->
I live alone, except for my 2 "special needs" dogs, who aren't suitable for kennels/boarding should/if/when I need to go into hospital.

"Pet Sitters" appear to be the answer (when/if I find someone suitable).

What insurance covers the cost of the sitters (if any), please ? Pet insurance ? House contents insurance ? Some other insurance ?

Any/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Dogmad, sorry to hear about your predicament, must be a worry. Two things come to mind -
1. In my dog magazine, there is a chap called Neil Flint who writes a page every month. He always offers free advice on many insurance issues regarding dogs and seems very helpful and knowledgeable. I believe his firm is called VIP insurance, but his contact number is 0845 601 8575. I would give him a ring if I were you, but even if its not exactly in his field he will probably be able to direct you.

2. If your furry friends are 'assistance dogs' I would have thought the organization who supplied the dogs would advise you surely? I can fully understand why you don't want them kennelled and I agree with you on that.

3. Just had another thought - if your dogs are already insured, it would be worth asking the insurers whether you are already covered for house sitting expenses, before you take on even more cost, I doubt it but its worth a phone call to find out for sure. Personally, I would start with Neil Flint.
Good luck and do let us know what transpires if you can.
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

11-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out (& perhaps my vet can help with my enquiries).
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

14-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

I've not been able to find anyone that even KNOWS of the existence of such a policy, let alone be able to offer one !

The closest I've been able to find is pet insurance that will cover (just) boarding fees (and even then, only after 4 days), which isn't what I want/need.

I've spoken to insurance brokers, insurance companies, pet sitters/ pet sitting companies, dog owners/breeders, dog walkers & dog wardens. No success No- one to whom I've spoken even knows of the existence of such a policy, let alone offer one !

Looks like I'll just have to save & hope that I have enough money to pay the bill should/if/when the situation arise(s). (Animal Aunts prices start at over £50 per day).

Ah well, it's good that I enjoy a challenge !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Hi Dave if you have a pet sitter from an agency rather than a 'private' sitter they should I think be insured by the agency.

Here is an example for you..
As animal lovers and pet owners ourselves, we understand how important it is to be able to trust your pet sitter implicitly. All our house and pet sitters are CRB checked, have 15-20 years of animal experience and are fully insured in your home.

We know how much you love your animals and we’ll take the best possible care of them, and your home, while your away.
http://www.animalangels.co.uk/what-w...al-angels.html
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

14-09-2013, 08:01 PM

It's PAYING for the pet sitters that I want the insurance - NOT the sitters OWN insurance.

I know that there are people in the same position as myself that would like to take out such a policy (so they needn't worry about having to find the fees for the sitters), but it seems that such a policy doesn't exist.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 11:07 PM

I understand exactly what you mean dogmad, it's not about the sitters insurance, its an insurance for yourself to recoup the cost of hiring sitters.
Did you speak to Neil flint I suggested in the beginning?
How long might you be away for, any idea? If it would be a very short stay, is there a neighbour you could trust? Are the dogs able to stay with any friends or family short term? It must be a worry, I'd be just the same.
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

15-09-2013, 06:35 AM

Spoke to Neil Flint & the closest they could find was PetPlan, who would pay ONLY for boarding & even then, only after 4 days.

I don't have any neighbours, friends or family that are experienced in living with a blind dog and, therefore, I wouldn't feel happy about them having the responsibilities.

Being blind (with or without a sense of smell), consistency/routine is essential to create familiarity and reduce stress, so to have them go away from their home would only cause problems.

No hospitalisation is planned - this is in case of illness/accident, so time scales are unkown.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Hmmm, difficult situation. Understand what you're saying about the importance of familiarity with the blindness, and he/she is lucky to have such a caring owner. Wish I could help, but can't think of anything else at the mo, so I hope you stay well and can all remain together safely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top