Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:05 PM

Fools and coronavirus

It's hard to believe that so many people are ignoring social distancing rules and also not wearing any form of mask.

At my local supermarket, in Mexico, I took note of those fools. I'd estimate that well over 60 % took no precautions what-so-ever. What in the world is wrong with them ?

Do they think they are immune ? Or, just plain stupid ?
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:12 PM

Re: Fools and coronavirus

Are masks compulsory where you are?

Very few people here wear them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:45 PM

We've been told they're useless so most don't wear them.
I do but then I'm a bit odd anyway.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We've been told they're useless so most don't wear them.
I do but then I'm a bit odd anyway.
In the U.S. we are being told to wear facemasks, even home-made cloth ones if nothing else is available. That makes sense to me. Even a poor mask will catch a majority of the virus. However, if we spend too much time around others, the mask will do little if any good.

Most grocery stores, in the U.S., but not in Mexico, require some form of face mask before you can enter.

Also, I noticed that at the cashier station they have erected thick plastic shields between the customer and the cashier.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:17 AM

Australia has a population of about 25.5 million. That's roughly half that of England alone and about 40 % of the UK. And most of us live in 6 major cities. We've had about 3000 cases all up and 71 deaths nation wide. NZ is doing about the same as us in proportion but with tighter restrictions. The wearing of masks is optional here. Many do..many don't. It's a personal choice. BUt we are still managing to flatten the curve as well as Sth Korea, Japan and Singapore who seem to have the best results in our region. We get the general message that masks are not going to hurt or help much either. It's hand washing , social distancing and a good general knowledge about viral transmission that has the best results. But most of you are not in Australia. So it doesn't help your argument much I guess. That's just our experience.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	12308  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:31 AM

I'm hoping they will make masks compulsory here. I don't agree with the experts on mask advice. The evidence shows that a mask is highly effective at preventing transmission if you already have the virus. As we don't know who has and who hasn't been infected we should all be wearing masks.
bakerman
Mexico

20-04-2020, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm hoping they will make masks compulsory here. I don't agree with the experts on mask advice. The evidence shows that a mask is highly effective at preventing transmission if you already have the virus. As we don't know who has and who hasn't been infected we should all be wearing masks.
Exactly true !

Keezoy, I have only two possible explanations for the number of cases in the U.S. We have a much larger population than those other countries AND individual state governors were quite slow to order social distancing and ban large gatherings. Florida, for example, was terribly slow to close the beaches. College students were jammed packed together on the beaches and in bars until 3 weeks ago.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 06:57 AM

Hi

Here in the UK we do not even have enough facemasks for the Hospitals, let alone the general public.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Here in the UK we do not even have enough facemasks for the Hospitals, let alone the general public.
I've made a couple homemafe ones out of socks. Dead eady and cheap enough

I agree with Annie, it should be compulsory.

I also wear disposable gloves for work as i handle a lot of mail although its not easy to type in them but i manage ok. Gloves at supermarkets every time. Also when visiting dad i use gloves and masks, i got some paper ones from amazon when it first started here, i save the paper ones for dads as its hard to talk in the sock ones, lol.

I've noticed round here many are using masks but not so many using gloves.
bakerman
Mexico

20-04-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I doubt any country does. They say that ANY form of facemask is better than nothing. It seems logical that if a person has C-19 but does not have any symptoms, the mask would help others, even if the mask was an old T-shirt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top