Join for free
Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
This is bad practice and can produce a fear of water for life....
It keeps me away from swimming pools, Foxy, I loathe the places - but - I am happy splashing about in the sea!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That happened to me also, Dongles. I never have learned to swim!
This is bad practice and can produce a fear of water for life....
Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
And me, I never learned to swim either.
Oh so I wasn't the only one shoved in. It must have been common practice at that time. Imagine that happening now, the school would be sued and I would have long lasting mental issues.

Luckily, I have always liked swimming and achieved my bronze, silver, gold and life saving awards for which I received sew on badges, which my Mum fixed to my budgie smugglers.

I still wear them with pride when on holiday.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Agreed. But hardly any stinging eyes due to the fresh air mitigating the chlorine. No need for goggles back then. Also remember there being a roller mangle on poolside to get the worse of the water out of one's trunks.
Ah yes, the roller mangle Dex, it was state of the art drying equipment then....
We had a cold shower at the side of the pool, if you stood under it for a minute or two it made the pool seem like a warm bath....

Interesting about the chlorine Dex, it has caused me some problems when I swim in a heated indoor pool these days, but it never did in those days....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Interesting about the chlorine Dex, it has caused me some problems when I swim in a heated indoor pool these days, but it never did in those days....
Same here. Used to go swimming to an outdoor pool pretty much every day for a couple of months during the summer months, and did the front crawl with my eyes open for about 30-40 minutes. Never an issue.

Did a couple of similar sessions in an indoor pool and felt like I had large pieces of grit in my eyes for a couple of hours afterward.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Oh so I wasn't the only one shoved in. It must have been common practice at that time. Imagine that happening now, the school would be sued and I would have long lasting mental issues.

Luckily, I have always liked swimming and achieved my bronze, silver, gold and life saving awards for which I received sew on badges, which my Mum fixed to my budgie smugglers.

I still wear them with pride when on holiday.
I bet they look great Longdogs, we should start a 'Budgie Smugglers Club' I think fashion took a turn for the worse when blokes started wearing those flappy down to the knee swim shorts...

To get your badges did you have to save a drowning brick from the bottom of the pool in your pyjamas?
If I had been in bed and the brick got into difficulty, I would have let it drown......
Serves it right for thinking it could float...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Same here. Used to go swimming to an outdoor pool pretty much every day for a couple of months during the summer months, and did the front crawl with my eyes open for about 30-40 minutes. Never an issue.

Did a couple of similar sessions in an indoor pool and felt like I had large pieces of grit in my eyes for a couple of hours afterward.
Yes Dex, if I don't wear goggles my eyes puff up like I've been smoking the weed all night....
Button
NW England
Button is female  Button has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Coal fires that had to be lit each day using newspaper spills to start them and sheets of newspaper across the front of the fire grate to pull the air up and feed the flames. Many times it caught fire!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Button ->
Coal fires that had to be lit each day using newspaper spills to start them and sheets of newspaper across the front of the fire grate to pull the air up and feed the flames. Many times it caught fire!
Didn't they make great toast though when you finally got it going Button....Yum yum....
Button
NW England
Button is female  Button has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Didn't they make great toast though when you finally got it going Button....Yum yum....

Yes they did, with lashings of butter
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Yes Dex, if I don't wear goggles my eyes puff up like I've been smoking the weed all night....
That's where a snorkel comes into it

Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top