Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Re: MRI Scan

Great news Alison, good luck.
I too thought annie's reply about walking on the sand with her grandaughter was lovely..a very good idea too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I have my appointment for a MRI scan come through today, it's at 8.00 am next Wednesday. You were all right, I can't eat or drink anything beforehand.
That's great news Alison, I hope it goes well for you...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 01:31 AM

Alison, without reading through the whole thread again, I think you asked if somebody could be with you during the scan, and I can't remember anyone replying to the question, so apologies if someone has.

Nobody can be in the same room as the scanner lass as it's like a huge X-Ray machine.

It seems evident that folk have to stay in there for different periods of time, depending on what is being scanned. I was only in there around 15 minutes as it was just on my head.

Like I said earlier, I just closed my eyes, but I can't emphasise how loud the knocks and bangs will be, but at least now you'll be expecting them. I wasn't told there'd be noises and I thought the machine was faulty so it terrified me, but the noises are normal.

To be honest, they put earphones on me, but it was the end of the tape before the blessed thing kicked in and it really wouldn't have made much difference. I know it's short notice now, but you could ask your doctor if you'd be able to take a sedative before going in, if that's a possibility for you.

You mentioned singing, but lass, you have to stay absolutely still, otherwise there could be a false reading and believe me, that will not be easy for you to do.

Just to lighten the load a little - a child was coming out of the MRI Room before I went in, and he thought it was brilliant, like he'd been in a space-ship or something. He thought it had been great.

Very good luck to you chuck, and let us know of your experience.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 01:42 AM

Alison, perhaps you could ask to be sedated, it may help.

They usually sedate children because they cannot stay still. They sedated my grandson after he contracted encephalitis and needed the scan.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for your good wishes Meg, Janela, and Mags. It's a nuisance that Christmas is so near as I will probably have to wait for the results after Christmas and that will be in the New Year.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Alison, without reading through the whole thread again, I think you asked if somebody could be with you during the scan, and I can't remember anyone replying to the question, so apologies if someone has.

Nobody can be in the same room as the scanner lass as it's like a huge X-Ray machine.

It seems evident that folk have to stay in there for different periods of time, depending on what is being scanned. I was only in there around 15 minutes as it was just on my head.

Like I said earlier, I just closed my eyes, but I can't emphasise how loud the knocks and bangs will be, but at least now you'll be expecting them. I wasn't told there'd be noises and I thought the machine was faulty so it terrified me, but the noises are normal.

To be honest, they put earphones on me, but it was the end of the tape before the blessed thing kicked in and it really wouldn't have made much difference. I know it's short notice now, but you could ask your doctor if you'd be able to take a sedative before going in, if that's a possibility for you.

You mentioned singing, but lass, you have to stay absolutely still, otherwise there could be a false reading and believe me, that will not be easy for you to do.

Just to lighten the load a little - a child was coming out of the MRI Room before I went in, and he thought it was brilliant, like he'd been in a space-ship or something. He thought it had been great.

Very good luck to you chuck, and let us know of your experience.
Hello Mollie

I shall be going on my own anyway so there would be no one to sit in with me anyway. I think I'll give up on the singing to myself idea then Mollie I think I'll be alright now I know what to expect thanks to you All. I really want this scan.

How sweet about the little boy who thought it was great thinking he was in a space ship, I might think of that

Thanks Mollie.
Alicat
West Berkshire

06-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Alison, perhaps you could ask to be sedated, it may help.

They usually sedate children because they cannot stay still. They sedated my grandson after he contracted encephalitis and needed the scan.
I could do that Mesco but I think I will be alright. Thanks
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2012, 11:04 AM

I hpoe it all goes well Alison. At least with an early morning appt not eating or drinking beforehand won't be too bad. Its good to get it done before Christmas as well. I would have thought you could ring in for the results as they should be known straight away. Its not like a blood test which has to go to the lab for processing etc. I would ask when you have the scan when the results will be available.
Alicat
West Berkshire

06-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
I hpoe it all goes well Alison. At least with an early morning appt not eating or drinking beforehand won't be too bad. Its good to get it done before Christmas as well. I would have thought you could ring in for the results as they should be known straight away. Its not like a blood test which has to go to the lab for processing etc. I would ask when you have the scan when the results will be available.
Hello Dog Lover, I think you have to make a appointment with the consultant after having the scan and he sees you and tells you the results. I'm not sure on that but I reckon that's what happens as the person doing the MRI scan won't know anything about it, she just takes it.

But I will ask when the results will be available, thanks for that.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Alison, hope everything goes well for you on Wednesday. There really isin't anything to be nervous of, all that it does is takes photos. images etc. so there's nothing to worry about, just close your eyes and relax, go to sleep, I did. Good Luck. Sue & Coco xx

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top