Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Marcus
pittsburgh,USA
Marcus is male  Marcus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Re: MRI Scan

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Yes, I had one not long after I'd had a mini-stroke to see if there had been a bleed to the brain. Luckily, there hadn't been.

Just to warn you, once the machine starts, there's a lot of rather horrible sporadic grinding noises and you don't know when the next sound is going to come. I found that a bit disconcerting. At one point there was a sound like a revving motorbike directly over my head.

Nobody can talk to you as you will be alone in the room where the scanner is, but you'll probably be offered head-phones to listen to some music - which doesn't really help.

It's nothing to worry about really and, if I'd been told what to expect before I went in, I'd have had a better idea. I think it only took about 15 minutes, but it felt like longer.

Hope this helps, and very good luck. Let us know how you get on.

I AGREE WITH MOLLIE---had quite a few and going to have another soon. Ciao
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Alison, hope everything goes well for you on Wednesday. There really isin't anything to be nervous of, all that it does is takes photos. images etc. so there's nothing to worry about, just close your eyes and relax, go to sleep, I did. Good Luck. Sue & Coco xx
Thanks sue and Coco
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Well I went in for the MRI scan this morning, hubby and I left at 6.15 am to get there for 8.00 am, I got in there and the machine looked really small, I said to the bloke doing it "will I fit in that " He replied "we'll try it and see but I don't think you are going to fit". He was right I didn't fit in it!!!!! So I didn't have it done!!! I said to him "there must be bigger people than me, what do they do?" He said "we don't scan big people".

Anyway I've phoned my doctors surgery when I got back and asked for a telephone call from my doctor.

It's such a shame as I would have been alright in that machine as it was open at the top end as well and you had a book with about a hundred albums in you could choose from. I was going to have Clanad playing and my second choice was Enya.

So will have to see what the next step will be
I'm very disappointed
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Oh Alison what a nuisance having got yourself mental prepared for the scan.

I had ultrasound for my gall bladder problems , apparently is shows things like stones . I had to wait so long for an appointment though the pain was better by the time I went and nothing was visible .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Oh Alison darlin' - that's bloody stupid!!! - fancy having a scanner that only people as thin as waifs can fit in. As I recall, the scanner that is at our 'County' Hospital is large enough to encompass me and I am no waif or dwarf believe me.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 01:12 PM

So sorry to hear that Alison, the man was a bit rude to you, saying they don't scan big people. Well keep us posted on what happen's next.
Alicat
West Berkshire

12-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Thanks all of you. My GP phoned me this morning and I told her and she said she's had this problem before with those scanners at that hospital. She said the Consultant I saw at the hospital will probably refer me to another hospital that has a bigger scanner. It is a special scanner that I'm having that looks right into your liver. My GP said you should hear something within the week, if not, to let her know.
Alicat
West Berkshire

12-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh Alison what a nuisance having got yourself mental prepared for the scan.

I had ultrasound for my gall bladder problems , apparently is shows things like stones . I had to wait so long for an appointment though the pain was better by the time I went and nothing was visible .
I don't know why they just don't do an ultrasound Meg, it makes you wonder what they are looking for I seem to be down as Urgent. I haven't had an attack for over two weeks now although I still get a pain in the middle of my chest. Oh well time will tell In the meantime I will enjoy Christmas
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Oh Alison, that must have been so disappointing for you I hope you don't have to wait too long for another appointment elsewhere.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Thats really bad luck Alison. Also what I can't understand is that if your GP knew there was a problem with the scanner at that hospital then why didn't she refer you somewhere else.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top