Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 08:32 AM

Waitangi Day

Anybody know what that is?
very year on 6 February, New Zealand marks the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. In that year, representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Māori chiefs signed what is often considered to be New Zealand’s founding document. The day was first officially commemorated in 1934, and it has been a public holiday since 1974.
I would like this as our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9y7...&start_radio=1
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 08:55 AM

Re: Waitangi Day

Hey Bro!

Well I know What it is. But I'm pretty close. See what happens yeah?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Anybody know what that is?
very year on 6 February, New Zealand marks the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. In that year, representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Māori chiefs signed what is often considered to be New Zealand’s founding document. The day was first officially commemorated in 1934, and it has been a public holiday since 1974.
I would like this as our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9y7...&start_radio=1
Thank you, Ciderman, that is really interesting - and I love the video.

I learn something new every day in here!!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:40 PM

I know many New Zealanders would do a mean Haka at this suggestion but I still maintain that we should federate into one country. It would be good for both of us. Sure NZ is doing very well as it is but the one mistake I think they make is their assumption that nobody would be interested in barging in and taking over in the future. So you guys can have our defence forces and economy to join up with yours and still be New Zealand -a state with the same name, flag and all the autonomy of the other states. A joint federation with the reps in Canberra and the senate in Wellington say. And we can have Jacinda as president of the lot? Dream on you say?..propbably
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:45 PM

Well despite our sporting rivalry I wouldn't mind Keezoy and Jacinda is proving to be very popular not only here but overseas, (except for the Artful Todger, )
As we used to say when I was doing my OE, "If I can't have a Kiwi watching my back, I'll have an Aussie!"
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:57 PM

I seem to remember, that our tour guide stroke coach driver showed us this place, as it rings a bell. Where exactly is Waitangi?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand

06-02-2020, 12:38 AM

It's up north Jazzi , in the Bay of Islands
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 06:25 AM

Nice video, Ciderman!

What do you and your fellow Kiwis have planned to celebrate the day?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand

06-02-2020, 07:54 AM

There are a lot of cultural fairs all over the country but the big ones are at Waitangi and in Auckland. Lots of music, lots of food (including some 'hangis') , hakas and Maori ceremonies. A fun time for all. See if you can google the difference between a 'hangi' and a 'hongi'.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
It's up north Jazzi , in the Bay of Islands
Ah, we stayed at Paihia. Such a beautiful place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top