Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 01:33 AM

Re: how did they get my number?

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Actually, if you browse the internet on your phone, your phone number just like your email address on a computer, is sent to the owners of the website you are browsing. What they do with that information depends on the laws of the country where the website is based.

It is well known in the mobile phone world that Apple and Google use hidden programs that send your personal information back to them. Both companies have been caught out numerous times by security researchers who have found hidden programs that run in the background, unseen by the phone owner.

Each time both companies release a press release explaining how sorry they are and that they will change their ways. All they are doing is finding new ways to get your personal information so they can sell it to their 'associated partners'.

A flooring company ringing the phone from someone who has used their mobile phone to browse for flooring is not a coincidence. Incidents such as that have been happening for years. There are loads of tech websites who are reported on such issues, just search for them.
I think it depends on the permissions you set. Often default permissions give away all your data.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think it depends on the permissions you set. Often default permissions give away all your data.
Hi

Spot on Annie.

That is the big row with Trump and the EU.

The EU have insisted on conditions, which Trump has gone mad about.

They hugely affect the profits of Amazon, Facebook and Alphabet and in particular, Apple.

All huge financial backers of Trump.

Trump complains about Huawei and spying.

Rubbish, we do not allow sensitive personnel to use Apple Products.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 12:27 AM

The first thing I do when I buy a new phone is disable all the permissions then re-enable them as needed.

Sometimes it does lead to unexpected consequences and it takes a couple of days to get them all right but worth the effort.

On your computer there are several add ons that disable trackers, personally I use Ghostery. It is open source which is very comforting.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 06:02 AM

I was at the Trafford Centre in Manchester earlier this week...whilst there I logged in to access a voucher I had downloaded for Pizza hut ....I didn't give my email or phone number to anyone but when i got home I got a text from the Trafford Centre asking how I would rate my shopping experience?

Bit scary
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 10:43 AM

I wonder whether people would have voluntarily agreed to pay 100's of pounds for a tracking device where your calls and communications can be listened to and read by third parties and strangers. Had a mobile phone been advertised in such a way back in the day would you have brought one? It's mind boggling what people have been conned into through their own choices without any kind of consultation or legislation.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was at the Trafford Centre in Manchester earlier this week...whilst there I logged in to access a voucher I had downloaded for Pizza hut ....I didn't give my email or phone number to anyone but when i got home I got a text from the Trafford Centre asking how I would rate my shopping experience?

Bit scary
As soon as you make a call from your mobile phone or use it to get on the internet those details are logged by the receiving device whatever that may be. That is the only way you can receive the information you requested, either contacting the number you requested or the website you wanted to access.

I regularly use my mobile for all calls as my landline is useless, quite a few of the companies I contact know who is calling as soon as they answer. My information they hold is on their screen immediately. There is a way on an iPhone anyway, to stop your mobile number from being used in this way, if that is what you want. Go into 'Settings' then scroll down to 'Phone' then 'Show My Caller ID' and deactivate this.

There will probably be a way of doing the same when you are using the internet on your mobile, I have no idea about this but someone else on here will know I expect.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:05 AM

On many mobiles, there is a setting called "Location".

Within that there is a setting called "Location History".

This is what the help pages tell us about this:-

"Saves where you go with your devices, even when you aren't using a specific Google service, to give you personalised maps, recommendations based on places that you've visited and more."

My mobile knows when I'm in the local shopping Mall - so I assume that some shops find that service worth paying for?

My point here is that they don't tell you where else they're sending all of that information to!

My second point is that all of these CAN BE TURNED OFF!

(in settings)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:21 AM

I gave my number to 3 places, (because I had to) Doctor, Bank, Insurance. One of them sold my number along with others to these pest sites.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Anyone using Microsoft (Edge or Google) really ought to check out what privacy settings are set for on your PC.

In "Settings" you can dig down to "Privacy" and see there what information has been "accidently" left on by Microsoft.

There are several ticks boxes worth considering and among those are the ones which allow Dealers to see where you've ever been, what you searched the net for, what info you gave when visiting a shop, etc.

Just turning off the "Search History" makes it worth while - you'll stop getting all those items you looked up last year!

Turn off &/or clear your cookies and who and what you are will be lost to them.

Worth a couple of minutes of your time.

Minimal danger in doing so - but they'll store the info, again, next time you search, so it needs to be a regular practice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top