Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Re: Grrrrrr

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Sounds suspiciously over-priced.
Suspiciously? Conspicuously I would say.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 06:02 PM

The going rate to replace a consumer unit is about £400.00, ours was done a couple of years ago, because I needed it moving anyway, I supplied the new metal unit and made available a void in the ceiling to make the Sparky's job a bit easier, but as Judd says, there is nothing wrong with a plastic consumer unit, and, it certainly would not have prevented what happened when water got in.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 06:17 PM

If the junction box is a like for like swap, you don’t need a qualified sparky, just a competent person.if I lived nearer carol. I’d do it for you, ( for a reasonable fee...a cup of tea and whatever you baked that day ..)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Another con. It's not a legal requirement to have a plastic consumer unit replaced with a metal one. Electrical Regulations (BS:7671) are not statutory. The only stipulation is that any NEW electrical work carried out must comply with Regulations in force at the time. Currently, the 18th Edition.

If you were having a rewire or extensive electrical work done, I would expect a metal (fire-proof under new Regs) to be installed. The work you are having done, the replacement of a waterproof junction box (a fifteen-minute job), is classed as a like for like swap so nothing needs updating to the new Regs.

Look for another honest electrician, blokes like him are giving us decent sparkies a bad name.

I think the so called emergency tradesmen are normally rip off merchants, that's why they do it. They always bodge it up, then have to come back at another time. Why? other tradesmen simply carry spares.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Thank you so much for all your wise comments and advice.
I took this on board and decided not to have the £400 metal consumer unit.

I then remembered Tony's cousin used to be an electrician and still does a few jobs in his retirement. I gave him a ring & he confirmed I didn't need the metal consumer box as this problem has never happened before - not in the 40 years we've lived here..

I have cancelled the original man - he was ok about it and Cousin Reg is coming in the morning to fix us a waterproof junction box.

I wouldn't have done it without the advice & comments from you all so thank you very much. x
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Sigh of relief here Carol....so pleased you got it sorted.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thank you so much for all your wise comments and advice.
I took this on board and decided not to have the £400 metal consumer unit.

I then remembered Tony's cousin used to be an electrician and still does a few jobs in his retirement. I gave him a ring & he confirmed I didn't need the metal consumer box as this problem has never happened before - not in the 40 years we've lived here..

I have cancelled the original man - he was ok about it and Cousin Reg is coming in the morning to fix us a waterproof junction box.

I wouldn't have done it without the advice & comments from you all so thank you very much. x

Good for you, Carol.
Well done.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:07 PM

Remember to let us know how things went Carol.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:43 AM

Carol , its horrible when tradesmen rip us off isnt it , i feel for you . Having to deal with it on your own is very hard . I hope you can get it sorted now . Upsetting and scarey at the time . Also i bet insurance would cover your costs as water damage

Good luck
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:51 AM

How can people take advantage like that?
Sorry to read this Carol, but glad you got sorted, and expert advice on here.
Great to have this friendly forum!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top