Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:41 PM

Re: Diversity? or Under Duress?

The great problem is that as soon as you discriminate for someone then you discriminate against everyone else...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I don't do diversity.

Even less positive discrimination.

If someone can't make the grade in their own right then sod them
Totally 100% behind you Todger. If people aren't prepared to put in the work and effort to achieve high levels of respect in their chosen field, etc, then they do not deserve any accolades, pay rises or promotions imho.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Got me tin helmet complete with Daisies, on......

There seems to be a lot of talk throughout the media of the need for ‘more diversity’ in the Oscars. I don’t know if it is just me that thinks - ‘’Well, regardless of whether the star(s) are black, white, Chinese or Mexican, surely it should be based on the fact that they should first make films that deserve to be nominated, not just nominated for the sake of it being because the character, film or director is “Diverse”.

To me, that smacks heavily of “Positive discrimination” rather than being more diverse.

There are, and have been some brilliant films portraying black characters, such as “12 Years a Slave” which won an Oscar 6 years ago, and the nomination this year for Cynthia Erivo who was brilliant playing the character of Harriet Tubman. She truly deserved her nomination.

The film “Parasite” a Foreign Film with subtitles won the Oscar for Best film this year. My thinking now is - Because itdeserved it? Or because of fear of those publicly lobbying for more Diversity at the Oscars. I know what I think.

What do you think?
I said much the same thing to my Daughter on watching the news about this & we both agree with you.
It's not discrimination if there aren't any films good enough to put forward with ethnic people in them.
I have never heard of the film Parasite, let alone seen it. I'll wait til I do before I hold an opinion. Not that mine carries any weight.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The great problem is that as soon as you discriminate for someone then you discriminate against everyone else...
This, exactly.

I do get a kick out of the fact that Hollywood is has been sanctimonious about this for years, chasing their own tails.

Some foreign films really are terrific though, and given the fact that most movies these days are targeted at the twelve-year-old mind, I am pleased that we have more options.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This, exactly.

I do get a kick out of the fact that Hollywood is has been sanctimonious about this for years, chasing their own tails.

Some foreign films really are terrific though, and given the fact that most movies these days are targeted at the twelve-year-old mind, I am pleased that we have more options.
Bear in mind also, that quite a few films produced in Hollywood are inferior copies of foreign (usually Japanese) originals. I've watched countless South Korean films and I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every one of them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Totally 100% behind you Todger. If people aren't prepared to put in the work and effort to achieve high levels of respect in their chosen field, etc, then they do not deserve any accolades, pay rises or promotions imho.
Some years ago, the CEO of Mercedes' Formula 1 racing team said that it wasn't up to Mercedes to slow down, it was for other F1 teams to catch up.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some years ago, the CEO of Mercedes' Formula 1 racing team said that it wasn't up to Mercedes to slow down, it was for other F1 teams to catch up.
Exactly
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Excellent!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 05:25 PM

If someone can't make the grade in their own right then sod them

I felt similar when there was all the talk about increasing the number of women in Parliament.

By all means provide creche facilities, but people should be given positions because of their ability, not because they are in the minority.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 05:53 PM

Crikey, glad it's not just me then. I was beginning to think it was just my usual miserable old-fashioned fair-minded me! I was reading today that Andrea Leadsome is for the chop from the Government cabinet for daring to lecture Boris about having more women in the cabinet. It seems to be all the fashion these days to not get ahead through merit, but by demand!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top