Join for free
Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 01:32 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Because you are pressing the issue,

It seems to me that you are saying "America should have given us free food , while at the same time we keep all of our gold".

Get used to it.
Bakerman - I'm not pressing the issue. As I responded to Tedc - he has put things very clearly into perspective. I thanked him once and I'll thank him again for his further clarification - also very well put.

Secondly - your quote is completely wrong. I'm certainly NOT saying America should have given us free food. As for the gold - the UK had to collect that from some far off country (South Africa/South America) while people in the UK starved! No thanks to America for generosity!!! Do try not to push the self gratification too far - you don't deserve it!

As for "Get used to it" - I suggest you do just that!!! ,,,,,,,,,in the same way that the parents of Harry Dunn have had to get used to the fact that their son's killer will not be returned to the UK to face charges because she is American!! WHY do Americans feel the rest of the world should kowtow to them??? In absolutely NO WAY will I EVER feel subservient to an American!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:27 PM

Lindyloo,
I don't understand how/why you feel that Americans expect Brits, or anyone else, to kowtow to us. . I thought I make it extremely clear that I, for one, did not believe that. For that matter, I have never encountered anyone who felt that way. That being said, I have, however, encountered numerous Brits while traveling abroad who acted extremely superior. Odd, huh ?

I now suggest that we drop the subject before someone says something which he will later regret.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:32 PM

I now suggest that we drop the subject before someone says something which he will later regret.
Agreed - but that wouldn't be me!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Hold on there!! This thread began as a discussion about WW2. Now it is turning into a "America should have done this, that and the other"
Let,s get back to what post one was all about.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Hold on there!! This thread began as a discussion about WW2. Now it is turning into a "America should have done this, that and the other"
I agree. I said as much many posts ago.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:44 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Swimfeeders is absolutely correct. Without the U.S., Britain would now be speaking German. Even BEFORE the war, Britain had to import 70% of it's foodstuffs. Without America sending food to the U.K. , many Brits would have staved to death.

Lindyloo,
You seem unbelievably ungrateful. 1st, the U.S bases still in the U.K. are there to protect the U.K. and indeed all of the NATO countries, from any and all current day threats .

2nd, and most importantly, it is critical to understand that FDR had his hands tied by the "Neutrality Act" of 1939. The overwhelming % of U.S. citizens were extremely anti-war and did not want to become involved in another European war, in spite of the fact that most U.S. citizens were pro-British.
You mentioned "full participation". Until December 1941, it would have been illegal to grant Britain everything she asked for. Early in the war, working together, Churchill and FDR worked out a lend-lease program , which side-stepped the Neutrality Act and allowed the U.S to "lend" both food and military equipment to the U.K. in exchange for leasing British eastern Atlantic bases which Britain could ill afford to defend anyway.
After December 1941, the flood gates were opened and the U.S. supplied everything to Britain that it possibly could and still be able to fight a 2 ocean war. Had Churchill been PM in 1938 onward, I feel positive that he would have dealt with Hitler in an entirely different manner and things would have turned out differently.
Remember this, if it had not been for the weak willed, jelly spine, PM Chamberlain (at Munich), Germany might never have gotten a running head start on the war.
In any event, I can't imagine that Britain could ever have successfully invaded "fortress Europe". Thus she, Britain, would have had to wait until the Russians defeated the Nazis but by then the Russians would have controlled all of Europe. (Even France? ). Either way, it is impossible to imagine that the U.K. could have ever taken on the Nazis in a head-to head battle on mainland Europe without the Americans.
No one is asking anyone to kiss Americas arse. But, a touch of gratitude would be in order.
That was a good post Post bakerman !
And agrees with my analysis of events !
Without American intervention, and the commonwealth contribution
UK was a non starter,even if we had been firmer earlier dealing with
Hitler we were totally unprepared? We hadn't even recovered from
the first world war, our ships were old and outdated? Our army was
small. and still relied on a pre Boers war rifle ??
Even with American and commonwealth help, we would have been
hard put to beat Germany without the Russian interventions??
And likewise the Russians would have been hard put to defeat
the Nazis without American help also ??
So perhaps we should thank the Japanese most for bringing
the Americans in on our side?? They could d have gone the other way
before pearl harbour happened !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔🤔👍
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Lindyloo,
I don't understand how/why you feel that Americans expect Brits, or anyone else, to kowtow to us. . I thought I make it extremely clear that I, for one, did not believe that. For that matter, I have never encountered anyone who felt that way. That being said, I have, however, encountered numerous Brits while traveling abroad who acted extremely superior. Odd, huh ?

American behaviour where WW2 is concerned is absolutely germaine to what took place before, during, and after the war.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Bakerman - I'm not pressing the issue. As I responded to Tedc - he has put things very clearly into perspective. I thanked him once and I'll thank him again for his further clarification - also very well put.

Secondly - your quote is completely wrong. I'm certainly NOT saying America should have given us free food. As for the gold - the UK had to collect that from some far off country (South Africa/South America) while people in the UK starved! No thanks to America for generosity!!! Do try not to push the self gratification too far - you don't deserve it!

As for "Get used to it" - I suggest you do just that!!! ,,,,,,,,,in the same way that the parents of Harry Dunn have had to get used to the fact that their son's killer will not be returned to the UK to face charges because she is American!! WHY do Americans feel the rest of the world should kowtow to them??? In absolutely NO WAY will I EVER feel subservient to an American!
I think you confuse government's with the people Lindy??
Government's are not truly representative of the people as is
quite evident even today ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That was a good post Post bakerman !
And agrees with my analysis of events !
Without American intervention, and the commonwealth contribution
UK was a non starter,even if we had been firmer earlier dealing with
Hitler we were totally unprepared? We hadn't even recovered from
the first world war, our ships were old and outdated? Our army was
small. and still relied on a pre Boers war rifle ??
Even with American and commonwealth help, we would have been
hard put to beat Germany without the Russian interventions??
And likewise the Russians would have been hard put to defeat
the Nazis without American help also ??
So perhaps we should thank the Japanese most for bringing
the Americans in on our side?? They could d have gone the other way
before pearl harbour happened !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔🤔👍
You're absolutely right. Were it not for Pearl then I very much doubt if America would have done anything other than sell armaments and other materials to both sides as had been the starting position.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

10-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
My posts were all in defence of the UK against statements that America won the war! It seems to be mentioned too often and requires correction!

Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top