Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

My favourite mountain changed by earthquake

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33017758

Just seen this on the BBC website. A beautiful mountain, which I have climbed twice, has lost one of its landmarks due to an earthquake.
It must be horrendous for those trapped up there - cold, wet and no shelter as the upper stretches are pure rock. I hope the rescue happens quickly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Re: My favourite mountain changed by earthquake

I see in the report it happened on Friday, was that last Friday Ania?
I couldn't see any dates and I didn't see it on the news. There seems to be a spate of earthquakes recently.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 11:10 AM

No Mups. Malaysia is 7 hours ahead of us, so it was Friday morning there but about midnight last night here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Hope everyone gets down safely. But the changes I suppose are just natural, the earth deciding what she needs. We really are insignificant in the scheme of things.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Gosh a whole piece of the 'donkeys ears' has gone
I hope all the climbers get down safely , it must be a very scary situation for them particularly with the events which took place in Nepal in the news so recently .
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 08:12 PM

That's fascinating but dreadful for the climbers. It must have been a great experience to have climbed it Ania.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

05-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
That's fascinating but dreadful for the climbers. It must have been a great experience to have climbed it Ania.
Anita, the upper reaches of the mountain are stunningly beautiful, with massive rock formations ranging from the elegantly curved to very ragged. Looking down from the summit at sunrise and watching the shadow of the mountain changing on the land below is an unforgettable experience. It is not a difficult climb, no technical skills needed, but it is very rewarding. I climbed it the year I was 40 and the year I was 50, but very much doubt I will do it again! Knees (mine, anyway!) are not made for descending from that altitude!

There is a stretch near the summit which is a long fairly smooth and steep rock face where ropes had been installed the second time I climbed it because they had lost a couple of people from that area. I think that is one of the areas which has been badly disrupted. The "Donkey's Ear" that has snapped off is much larger than it looks in the pictures and I suspect weighed at least several hundred pounds. I dread to think of the damage it did on the way down.

I gather there has been one guide killed, which is very sad. The remaining guides are trying to bring the climbers down safely, and they are such conscientious and caring guides that I am confident that they will succeed.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 08:45 PM

It sounds wonderful Ania. I'm sure it is indeed rewarding and the shadows etc, you could really savour the experience.
I actually thought the part which came away was even bigger, I hope that the people on the mountain are able to get down safely.
I know what you mean about knees, I love volcanoes and did a trip to Italy to see Vesuvius and Etna one year. Vesuvius is pretty steep in places too and I was ok going up but coming down is the tricky bit on the knees.
Etna I was able to do most of in a cable car but there was still a fair bit of walking and clambering about on the black shingle up there.

One of my knees gave way the day before we came home and I nearly couldn't get on and off the plane.

Thanks for sharing your interesting story about this lovely mountain in Malaysia.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

06-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Eleven dead and eight missing…
Anita
Midlands, UK

06-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Not good news, hope the missing are located alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top