Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Re: Should junk food be banned from schools?

I read this quote in a book on healthy eating last night

"You can have all the junk food you like as long as you cook it from scratch."
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 12:39 PM

Primary school food was cooked on site and whilst it was not always delicious it was edible(apart from the lamb) . Then `big school` again cooked either at school or in one`s `house`. Mostly edible and yes curry was served back in 1965.

I assume times have changed.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 01:00 PM

No one loves junk food more than me so my answer is no.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 05:41 PM

I remember when I was in school. The school dinners used to be delivered to to the school before being served to the children by dinner ladies.

Even though it is well over 50 years ago I well remember how tasty the dinners used to be. A choice of two meats or fish, with plenty of choice of vegetables such as cabbage or cauliflower and carrot mix, followed by yummy desserts such as syrup cornflake tart, jam or chocolate sponge with yellow, pink or chocolate custard. YUM! I used to look forward to the aroma of "dinner", one could always smell the food as it was being transferred to the warming trays..

Funny enough, I can't remember whether we were offered any fruit back then or maybe it was because the puds were so delicious I wasn't interested. The Nuns on dinner duty would insist we ate every bit of our dinner before they allowed us to rejoin the queue for pud.

They certainly never served up a single chip or disgusting food such as Turkey Twizzlers, which thankfully are now no more.

I do remember they were always good, wholesome meals though.
I feel sorry for the children of today if they are being served up junk food. It seems to be all about cost per head nowadays rather than the wellbeing of the children.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:10 PM

Hi

My experience of school food was that it was freshly cooked at the school every day.

Even then we had "Junk Food" from time to time.

Spam Fritters, battered and oozing fat, lovely jubbly.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 02:50 AM

What is a turkey twisler?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What is a turkey twisler?
Hi

A rather revolting product invented by Bernard Matthews.

The original ones were 21% fat, then reduced to 7%.

The turkey is mechanically recovered meat.

When they bone the turkey, the carcase is put in a pressure washer and scraps of meat blasted off, then the water is pressed out and the meat sludge formed into shapes with all sorts of enhancers and binders added.

About as far removed from the real thing as possible.

The big food processors round here do similar things with chicken, pork and ham, all of which have water added, up to 20% is added to processed meats.

Very good profits.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 10:24 AM

I notice a few of us oldies are keeping quiet about the local tuck shop which we all frequested whenever money and time allowed .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 10:43 AM

When I was at grammar school we weren't allowed to leave the premises at break or lunch times. We had school dinners which were good wholesome food but never enough for growing lads so half a dozen of us would club together and a volunteer would sneak out to a local shop and buy a cake which was then shared out. Junk food, yes but we were growing lads !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 02:53 PM

we werent allowed to leave the school premises either.
The tuck shop used to sell ( among other things )delicious coxs apples at 1p each

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top