Join for free
Page 50 of 79 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »
DanceSuzy
New Member!
Texas, United States
DanceSuzy is female 

11-06-2020, 01:49 AM

Re: Murder by Police - George Floyd

What are various statues? Like random statues? Random statues are not the concern. The statues that need to be removed are confederate war memorials. Do they have Nazi war memorials in Germany honoring those who served for Hitler? I really don't know the answer to that question but it seems like a parallel example to me. The issue is removing statues that honor those who fought for slavery which was abolished. We can not glorify those who fought to deny the rights of others based on their non whiteness. This is my first post. I am hoping this site is cool with polite adult discussion. I just got bullied off of FB for expressing my opinion.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 02:33 AM

Welcome to OFF You will not get bullied here we are a robust but friendly group

The question is where do you stop ?
Rome was built by slaves .
The pyramids ?
Every historic building that was built on proceeds of the slave trade ?
Do you want to dynamite Mount Rushmore seeing as at least two of those depicted kept slaves ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by DanceSuzy ->
What are various statues? Like random statues? Random statues are not the concern. The statues that need to be removed are confederate war memorials. Do they have Nazi war memorials in Germany honoring those who served for Hitler? I really don't know the answer to that question but it seems like a parallel example to me. The issue is removing statues that honor those who fought for slavery which was abolished. We can not glorify those who fought to deny the rights of others based on their non whiteness. This is my first post. I am hoping this site is cool with polite adult discussion. I just got bullied off of FB for expressing my opinion.

Welcome . Suzy, you are exactly correct. There can be no doubt that you are right. I commend you for speaking out.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about Nazi Germany and that they do not now have ANY statues of Nazis in modern day Germany.

Being from Texas, I'm sure that you are familiar with NASCAR. Today NASCAR announced that it would ban the display of Confederate flags at future events. Certainly not an earthshaking change, but it is a step in the right direction.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 02:39 AM

Those who fly the confederate flag are usually a bunch of rednecks so no one except them is bothered but ....

You are both Americans would you advocate dynamiting Mount Rushmore ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Welcome to OFF Zhou will not get bullied here we are a robust but friendly group

The question is where do you stop ?
Rome was built by slaves .
The pyramids ?
Every historic building that was built on proceeds of the slave trade ?
Do you want to dynamite Mount Rushmore seeing as at least two of those depicted kept slaves ?
Let's not get carried away. It is one thing the have buildings that were ERECTED by slaves, but it is an entirely different matter to honor those who made fortunes by buying, transporting and selling human beings.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2020, 02:43 AM

Mount Rushmore ?
Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were slave owners .
Mount Rushmore was not made by slaves
bakerman
Mexico

11-06-2020, 02:52 AM

Those who fly the confederate flag are usually a bunch of rednecks so no one except them is bothered but ....

You are both Americans would you advocate dynamiting Mount Rushmore ?

Let's try to keep our eye on the ball.

The number one current issue is about the murdering of human beings by the police. I wish I could post all of the youtube videos, at least those videos available in the U.S. of police brutalizing and/or murdering people.

I have no wish to go into great detail but I will mention that there was recently an infamous case in NYC detectives who had a black man in custody, IN THE POLICE STATION, AND ALREADY BEHIND BARS. The detectives took him out of a jail cell to question him. To get him to confess, they took a heavy mop handle and sodomized him for hours.

I guarantee you that such behavior is very much on the mind of any moral person. Compared to the above, Mt. Rushmore pales into insignificance.
bakerman
Mexico

11-06-2020, 03:01 AM

Mount Rushmore ?
Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were slave owners .
Mount Rushmore was not made by slaves
In a previous post you asked about where do we stop and you mentioned the building of Rome and the Egyptian Pyramids. I responded to you about those buildings.
bakerman
Mexico

11-06-2020, 04:00 AM

America is now at an historical crossroads. At stake is the very future of America.

We have two distinct choices. Either we will make a serious attempt to fulfill the contract of the U.S. Constitution and in so doing give every citizen full equal rights; or we will stumble down a path toward ultimate self destruction.

As for me, I'm betting that we will see the error of our ways and thus emerge a better nation.

Across the nation many cities, townships and states are actively changing the "rules of the road" for policing in America. Already, California and New York State have banned the use of choke holds. Minneapolis, Minnesota has announced that it will take a portion of the police budget and put it into a program called "community safety".

Many locations are now actively looking for ways to remove obstacles which make it nigh on impossible to convict police who are clearly brutalizing people.

Moreover, police have been traditionally been shielded from public scrutiny. Many high government officials are now calling for all records of police brutality to be openly available to one and all.

Additionally, supervisory officers will be held accountable for the actions of the street cop under his/her command. If a cop has many charges of brutality against him (Derek Chauvin had 18 previous charges of brutality, including one killing) the supervisor is to be fined and fired.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 08:07 AM

Colston was not being admired and praised for his slave trade activity, he was being honoured for his generosity and love of the residents of Bristol, and to show their appreciation they raised a statue in his honour.

If you challenge where his money came from, you will open a whole new can of worms. Even to this present day....

Page 50 of 79 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top