Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
NotMyRealName
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
NotMyRealName is male 

12-05-2020, 03:00 PM

Vote for Brexit? Then please Consider Boycotting Paypal

Paypal are imposing EU rules/regs on the UK when using Paypal. The annoying SMS text thing that Paypal has very recently started using is because of EU rules/regs. These should not be being applied to the UK seeing as we have left the EU.

I have contacted the Paypal agents and they told me it was because of EU rules and I did tell them that those rules should not be applied to the UK seeing as we are no longer in the EU. I did ask them to put this back to paypal but I do not see that happening unless people boycott Paypal and tell them why!

I am boycotting Paypal/eBay until they change their practices and stop applying EU rules on the UK.

As you might of guessed, I did vote for Brexit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Re: Vote for Brexit? Then please Consider Boycotting Paypal

I think you'll find that these rules are industry wide these days. SWiMBO is the finance director of our apartments' management company and every time she has to make a payment to a new supplier she has to wait for a one-off code to arrive by text from the bank before she can make the transaction. It's all to do with money laundering and such like.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 03:22 PM

I suspect that its because PayPal / eBay Europe are based in Luxembourg (the EU tax haven).

Thanks for the tip - I'll not be using either anymore.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 03:40 PM

As much as I also find that 'annoying SMS text thing' a pain, its main function is to help prevent fraud which, with the levels that is happening nowadays can only be a good thing. I don't get involved much in the politics of BrExit, it's very complicated, I did vote to leave. As that one-time code is, or could benefit me by preventing fraud, I will stick with it. As another poster mentioned, all the financial organisations are using this 'two-factor authentication', as I believe it's called, so it's going to be difficult to do anything connected with banking / finance without accepting it.

I made a purchase in one of the big stores a while ago and was very surprised to find I was requested, on my mobile, to supply the code shown to their company website for payment to be made via my debit card. Although I was in the store that order for a laptop had been placed via their own online ordering service. I was picking it up locally using their 'Click and Collect' service as it was quicker than having it delivered.

Information about this 'two-factor authentication' can be found on the link below:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/onli...authentication
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 03:41 PM

I wouldn't use PayPal anyway - it keeps being hacked!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Here comes the EU transaction tax !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 05:58 AM

No way would I boycott Paypal because of some petty European argument, Paypal is far too convenient.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Hi

What a load of rubbish.

Are we going to set up our own version of Paypal and Ebay?

Amazon has the same rules, are we going to set up our own version of that as well?

We are leaving EU Rules and going to WTO Rules.

We cannot simply set our own.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What a load of rubbish.

Are we going to set up our own version of Paypal and Ebay?

Amazon has the same rules, are we going to set up our own version of that as well?

We are leaving EU Rules and going to WTO Rules.

We cannot simply set our own.

Some EU rules will have to be upheld, like those border controls. Boris told it wouldn't happen, but now he is back peddling.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ernment-admits

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9513521.html
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NotMyRealName ->
Paypal are imposing EU rules/regs on the UK when using Paypal. The annoying SMS text thing that Paypal has very recently started using is because of EU rules/regs. These should not be being applied to the UK seeing as we have left the EU.

I have contacted the Paypal agents and they told me it was because of EU rules and I did tell them that those rules should not be applied to the UK seeing as we are no longer in the EU. I did ask them to put this back to paypal but I do not see that happening unless people boycott Paypal and tell them why!

I am boycotting Paypal/eBay until they change their practices and stop applying EU rules on the UK.

As you might of guessed, I did vote for Brexit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Have we?

I thought we were in some kind of transition period.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top