Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 12:06 PM

Re: Young girl shot dead

Originally Posted by Azure ->
The 'Punishment does not fit the Crime'

They have a cushy life in Jail and with all Mod Cons and acsess to TV, Computer Education, Music, often drugs are brought in as well.
They are there, gloating about their crimes without any contrition

Why can't they be whipped, every day for at least one year to remind them of what they have done?
I agree.

And after their sentences are completed, they can be transported to Australia just like the old days.

And no, I'm not joking!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 12:18 PM

What a bloodthirsty lot !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's perfectly OK. If it is their ideal way to die (and go to their pretend paradise), perhaps they'll queue up to be arrested and hung in chains.

Nice, easy, cheap. No need for any attention from guards, prison visitors and medics. Just a small job of sweeping up the bones and left-overs after they've turned their toes up. Actually, though, the rats could do most of that for us.
Why punish rats?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 11:05 AM

I agree.

And after their sentences are completed, they can be transported to Australia just like the old days.

And no, I'm not joking!
Well seeing that you said you're not joking (I still laughed) .NO!..they so absolutely and totally cannot be transported to Australia. You can keep your violent criminals and your "old days" thanks. Besides, I thought you wanted to punish these guys brutally?..So what's with the transportation thing?..You think you have trouble now?. Imagine how many crimes that would be committed just so they could come here. Transportation to Australia!?...They should be so lucky. The following is a list of the remaining British colonies. Try them.

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory (BAT) - ASSI has no direct responsibility in relation to BAT as the Antarctic Treaty takes precedence.
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar - outside ASSI's remit due to its position within the European Union.
Montserrat
Pitcairn Island, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands
St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
Sovereign Base Areas (SBA) - ASSI's responsibility in relation to the SBA is limited to the provision of advice to the Administrator.
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Well seeing that you said you're not joking (I still laughed) .NO!..they so absolutely and totally cannot be transported to Australia. You can keep your violent criminals and your "old days" thanks. Besides, I thought you wanted to punish these guys brutally?..So what's with the transportation thing?..You think you have trouble now?. Imagine how many crimes that would be committed just so they could come here. Transportation to Australia!?...They should be so lucky. The following is a list of the remaining British colonies. Try them.

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory (BAT) - ASSI has no direct responsibility in relation to BAT as the Antarctic Treaty takes precedence.
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar - outside ASSI's remit due to its position within the European Union.
Montserrat
Pitcairn Island, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands
St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
Sovereign Base Areas (SBA) - ASSI's responsibility in relation to the SBA is limited to the provision of advice to the Administrator.
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands
I agree.

I think I'd prefer to send them to the third option. Nothing much there to destroy.

In all seriousness, bearing in mind that we sent all our worst criminals to Australia, they seem to have made it into quite a successful country.

By the same token, if we take all the rubbish from France and the EU, perhaps they can make the UK a more successful country?

Like hell!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 02:54 PM

Haw..as long as the BAT isn't next to the Australian territory. Not sure. Pity the penguins ..As far as the worst criminals being sent to Australia, well that has been extensively researched. I thought the very worst were hanged there in Britain. Some of the "crimes" that attracted transportation were so petty it beggars belief. Conversely there were many of the real bad ones that made quite a go of it in their new world. They were tough in a tough land. It is a widely held belief by scholars of history however that the seminal work on the history of transportation to Australia and the South Pacific is "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I'd encourage you to read it. Yes we are successful. Not "quite"..very. For many reasons but the main one is that we believe we are. It's called optimism. That's what I think you guys need a lot more of. I have been genuinely shocked at the way many of you bucket your own country. Quite sad really.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	fatal shore.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	12748  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-05-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Haw..as long as the BAT isn't next to the Australian territory. Not sure. Pity the penguins ..As far as the worst criminals being sent to Australia, well that has been extensively researched. I thought the very worst were hanged there in Britain. Some of the "crimes" that attracted transportation were so petty it beggars belief. Conversely there were many of the real bad ones that made quite a go of it in their new world. They were tough in a tough land. It is a widely held belief by scholars of history however that the seminal work on the history of transportation to Australia and the South Pacific is "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I'd encourage you to read it. Yes we are successful. Not "quite"..very. For many reasons but the main one is that we believe we are. It's called optimism. That's what I think you guys need a lot more of. I have been genuinely shocked at the way many of you bucket your own country. Quite sad really.
I think I'd be happier with my own country if only we could all pull together.

Unfortunately, as I have said elsewhere, this country is now really divided: politically, the EU, class differences, criminally, etc.

We used to be a very unified country, or at least that's how I remember it as a child, and certainly during and before the war.

That's what I find sad.
keezoy
Australia

27-05-2020, 12:48 AM

I think I'd be happier with my own country if only we could all pull together.

Unfortunately, as I have said elsewhere, this country is now really divided: politically, the EU, class differences, criminally, etc.

We used to be a very unified country, or at least that's how I remember it as a child, and certainly during and before the war.

That's what I find sad.
Yes we all - The Allies- pulled together against a common enemy back then. WE are again now. COVID 19. I think the secret is the same as it was then. Take the good with the bad but don't dwell on the bad bits. Just deal with them. Never stop thinking about the future and the belief that hard work and determination will get you there. NEVER be complacent. Don't waste time hating what you can't change. Support each other - I know Brits are good at that. NEVER underestimate the young. They don't have it better than you did. It's a different world and it's a lot harder for many of them at 16 or 21 or 35 than it was for us at the same age. Generally speaking. That's the attitude I try to maintain and it keeps me going. Of course a lot of sunshine does help
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 05:57 AM

Its hard to know what is actually happening, as a nation, we seem to be in a prolonged transition period, that's been going on for decades.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 06:07 AM

That is exactly right Spitty we seem to be in an everlasting vacuum .
And the unpleasant icing on the cake is this corona pandemic .

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top