Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 04:58 AM

dust coat

This is a question for all the artists and restorers and/ or guitarists on here. I am restoring an old electric guitar. Those guitarists among you will recognise the wonderful Fender Telecaster as shown here. I have obtained a replacement decal and applied it. It is the soak and slide on type. The instructions say apply 2 "dust coats" before the final coats of lacquer. They say to do this otherwise the decal may melt? Can I ask you guys what is a dust coat?..Other than, of course the coat you wear in a lab. Advice will be appreciated. Update. I have since been told that a dust coat is a quick mist coat before the main coats. I guess this is what it is then but comments are still welcome. Guitar enthusiasts here may gasp when they see "Fender esquire" The original of these are worth squillions. This is not one. THis is an old Tele Squire that lost it's head - literally. This is the closest decal I could get. It will do.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	12734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headstock.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	12735  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 12:49 AM

Re: dust coat

Another installment. My old Telecaster with it's restored headstock: machine heads replaced and strung. I'll play it for a few days - it's been a long time and I've missed it - then start on the fret board. Not going to replace the frets themselves, just restore the fret spaces. Last stage will be re- surfacing the body. Probably in sunburst. That's going to be the hardest part. Will need some professional help with that.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired headstock.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	12740  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top