Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Old words, new meanings.

Older people have to be careful choosing words nowadays, old expressions have taken on new meanings and a slip of the tongue can cause upset and even have you charged with an offense, Obviously I can't attempt to give you a list of the taboo words for fear of breaking the rules, but older folk will know what I mean. for example, when I was young I was happy and gay, but not that way, or if you were a fan of the comics and read Billy Bunter you will remember some of the terrible names he was called because he was overweight, we all thought it was very funny, highlighting the boys insatiable appetite. All that is not allowed anymore, but it's what we were all brought up with, younger people ought to realise that, it was never meant to cause offense or be taken seriously.
Countries have changed names too, remember the Belgian Congo, Ceylon, Yugoslavia,etc.? Thread softly my friends, or put your foot in it.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

05-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Re: Old words, new meanings.

I would have thought that even the most senior citizens, who still have all their marbles, are quite well aware of what is or isn't acceptable these days, unless they live isolated from the world!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I would have thought that even the most senior citizens, who still have all their marbles, are quite well aware of what is or isn't acceptable these days, unless they live isolated from the world!

Some of us, Willow darlin' reject the idea of political correctness!!! Yes we hold doors open for ladies, yes we do help ladies on/off with their coats, yes we do allow ladies to proceed ahead of us in bus queues - I was taught 'good manners' and doing these things is just being polite and demonstrating that one was brought up properly. If, in addition, we happen to use words or phrases which are also politically incorrect then sod it!!! sobeit. I am not about to apologise for my existence, the world will have to put up with me.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 03:06 PM

I know exactly what you mean Jimmy, and I can't think of nary a one .
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Some of us, Willow darlin' reject the idea of political correctness!!! Yes we hold doors open for ladies, yes we do help ladies on/off with their coats, yes we do allow ladies to proceed ahead of us in bus queues - I was taught 'good manners' and doing these things is just being polite and demonstrating that one was brought up properly. If, in addition, we happen to use words or phrases which are also politically incorrect then sod it!!! sobeit. I am not about to apologise for my existence, the world will have to put up with me.
Funny how we older ones are supposed to fit in with the younger generation instead of the other way around. I was furious with my Grandson (14) when he put on his facebook profile Widowed after he fell out with his girlfriend he said it was just an expression. Disgusting I called it. My school uniform was brown guess what shade of brown it was and it was the only shade allowed. Wonder if you can still have French Navy.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 03:28 PM

I can relate to what you are saying Jemflux. A lot of things these days are simply not PC anymore.
I was quite young and living in Brixton (which couldn't get much more multi-cultural) when the Golliwog was removed from the Robertson's jams and marmalade jars and although I realised there was something wrong with it, I couldn't work out what it was - just an innocent child I suppose, but I never thought there was a racist connection - it was just a little doll to me - not real - and I collected them. I was disappointed not to find the paper golly inside when we took the lid off a new jar. Also I thought it was a shame when the Enid Blyton books were considered not suitable for children anymore. Rupert the Bear books were left alone!!!! I think even The Famous Five books were deemed unsuitable for children.
Mad, crazy world we live in.
And I always thought a dyke was something to do with water.
I think we should celebrate differences, not try to make us all part of the same androgenous and anonymous mass.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

05-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In my opinion it is good manners to hold a door open for someone else be they male or female! I don't need help taking off my coat, I am quite capable of doing it myself, I would think any guy trying to assist in that way was weird! If I ever used a bus, which I don't, I would stand up for someone infirm of whatever age or sex. Treating women differently is NOT good manners it is sexist!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Sorry, Willow, but I think your last line is a bit unfair. What Uncle Joe describes I think IS good manners, and is showing respect. To say it is sexist seems rather harsh.

While I agree with you that I would hold a door open or offer my seat on a bus to someone of either sex, for a man to treat a woman with respect and good manners is IMO something to be appreciated.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
In my opinion it is good manners to hold a door open for someone else be they male or female! I don't need help taking off my coat, I am quite capable of doing it myself, I would think any guy trying to assist in that way was weird! If I ever used a bus, which I don't, I would stand up for someone infirm of whatever age or sex. Treating women differently is NOT good manners it is sexist!
your opinion is nothing to do with the thread. Please UJ carry on with your sexist behaviour at least you stayed on topic Old Words New Meanings, I appreciate any one showing politeness to me regardless of their sex.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 06:16 PM

Sorry, I got off topic a bit there too.
Jemflux, I know what you mean. I guess it may be considered natural progression of language, but I rather miss some of the older words that have new connotations. And I've got to admit that I cannot always keep up with all the new lingo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top