Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Re: My next door neighbour's wee pigeons!

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Annie darlin' - what you think are ears are actually wings.
got it I saw what I thought was a beak on the far one but the inside looks distinctly like a rabbit then I turned it slightly and now can see that one's beak as wll and what I took to be an eye is a mark just about on side of breast. I'd thought ears could be wings but couldn't find the rest. Anyone know what baby rabbits are called as well.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2012, 08:50 PM

That's the first time I've seen baby pigeons too, sweet little things. You have a kind neighbour.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 08:08 AM

That is a good meighbour that you have Rosemary and isnt mother nature wonderful when you see the young like this in a human environment.

Mags I think you will find that a young Pigeon is called a Squab, at least that is what the French call them when serving them up for a meal the barbaric lot.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Why is it anymore barbaric to serve them up for a meal than any other bird?
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 08:39 AM

I used to keep Racing Pigeons......They are about 2 day old Squabs....... After 21 days they will be flying around and you wont know the difference between them and the parents.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo ->
I used to keep Racing Pigeons......They are about 2 day old Squabs....... After 21 days they will be flying around and you wont know the difference between them and the parents.
A man near us still keeps them, lets them out in 3 groups about 1/2hr apart from 8.15am. Notice no feral pidgeons go near them, and they all fly in a group. He's got a massive cote,loft,coop, don't know what you'd call it.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

06-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Why is it anymore barbaric to serve them up for a meal than any other bird?
Sorry Willow I have to agree with you on this. no different to eating any animal or bird.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Sorry Willow I have to agree with you on this. no different to eating any animal or bird.
It is nice to agree on something.

It isn't illogical to be a meat eater but to turn your nose up at roast cat or dog, for instance. I have not had first hand experience of eating either, not would I particularly want to, but have been told by those that have that they are quite tasty, especially if you are very hungry.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

06-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
It is nice to agree on something.

It isn't illogical to be a meat eater but to turn your nose up at roast cat or dog, for instance. I have not had first hand experience of eating either, not would I particularly want to, but have been told by those that have that they are quite tasty, especially if you are very hungry.
It's just how we perceive things, if we don't rear them for eating we don't fancy eating them, except for game.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
It's just how we perceive things, if we don't rear them for eating we don't fancy eating them, except for game.
Agreed.

When I was a kid on an exchange trip to France in the 60s, I asked my host what the meat was I was enjoying for my lunch. I nearly choked when she said, 'horse'!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top