Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Re: My next door neighbour's wee pigeons!

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Agreed.

When I was a kid on an exchange trip to France in the 60s, I asked my host what the meat was I was enjoying for my lunch. I nearly choked when she said, 'horse'!
Mum used to say scathingly about a butcher near us " he sold horse meat in the war" I asked why didn't they eat horse meat and she said "Ugh!! No couldn't eat that" Her father was a slaughterman in the abertoire (scuse the spelling) next door and they happily ate rabbit too, and she went grey when farmer asked which lamb she wanted killing (1/2 lamb for freezer) Nowt so queer as folk.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-06-2012, 12:26 PM

I had no problem eating rabbit as a child until my father brought in for the pot one he had run over on the drive in the car, YUCK! I have never eaten one since.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Why is it anymore barbaric to serve them up for a meal than any other bird?
Oops, Hello everyone, did someone say it was not barbaric to serve up any birds as food?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Only if you are a veggie of course!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
That is a good meighbour that you have Rosemary and isnt mother nature wonderful when you see the young like this in a human environment.

Mags I think you will find that a young Pigeon is called a Squab, at least that is what the French call them when serving them up for a meal the barbaric lot.
Thanks Bob, that's something else I've learned...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Oh I see, and if two young birds fight it's called a squabble.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Oh I see, and if two young birds fight it's called a squabble.
Good one Jem!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Oops, Hello everyone, did someone say it was not barbaric to serve up any birds as food?
I don't think it is I've had wood pidgeon but think I over cooked it was like leather. BTW anyone know how we got onto eating them we were looking at a pretty if puzzling picture of them, If it was me sorry. Mind never strays far from food.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 03:43 PM

I had no problem eating rabbit as a child until my father brought in for the pot one he had run over on the drive in the car, YUCK! I have never eaten one since.
My Butcher goes shooting Rabbits - they're considered a 'pest' by Eastbourne Council as they burrow near Beachy Head and undermine the cliffs. Have often bought rabbits from my butcher for a casserole - simply delicious!!!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Back on topic.... lovely baby pigeons. Like Annie says its nice of the neighbour to rebuild the nest

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top