Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 07:11 PM

The job centre DOES have a sense of humour

It is true they DO have a sense of humour i got the proof today....I had a interview with the JC today as instructed ...I had to sign a new Job contract saying what i am prepared to do to look for work ...One of the conditions i HAVE to adhere to so not to get my meager benefits sanctioned was to be prepared to Travel a min of 90 mins each way to and from work by car public transport bike or foot ...so national min wage £243 per week ....90 mins by car equates to approx 60 miles = 120 miles a day which is approx 3.5 gallons for my car = 17.5gallons a week which at 6.03 per gallon = £105 in petrol costs £5 tax £5 insurance that = £115 so £243 - £115 = £128...But I forgot to take the tax and stamp of my wages so lets say £40 so that leaves £88 per week income .....I think i will stay in bed I'll get paid more ..

So they are having a laugh...

seriously where is the incentive I am looking but I refuse to use my car ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Re: The job centre DOES have a sense of humour

I think you should have put this in the "Fun Stuff" Steve. Joking apart, it is unbelievable!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I think it's you that's having a laugh Steve, for goodness sake stop bitching about your lot and making excuses. If you want to regain your self respect then you will need to do whatever it takes. There is indeed something wrong with the benefits system if you are better off on the dole. No wonder we have millions of long term unemployed....
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I think it's you that's having a laugh Steve, for goodness sake stop bitching about your lot and making excuses. If you want to regain your self respect then you will need to do whatever it takes. There is indeed something wrong with the benefits system if you are better off on the dole. No wonder we have millions of long term unemployed....
Hi plantman, Thanks for you feedback and I respect you opinion but I don't agree with it ...So i need to regain my self respect...I aint lost it all yet .I aint bitching and It aint a excuse it is a fact . I challenge anyone to work for peanuts or live my life over the last year and still laugh. ...what i have put here is a worse case scenario ...i used figures as a extreme just like the government does . I am not a long term UN-employed by choice ...i have been applying for everything and anything up to ussually 5-10 a week sometimes more...the trouble i have is that i am TOO QUALIFIED for a lot of low paid jobs employers don't want a 56 yr old skilled person to sweep floors , cos they know i will leave at the first opportunity to earn twice what they pay...If i don't earn enough for the upkeep of my home i will lose that and wot little respect i have left ..I also have my pride and no one is having that.
Also I do agree with you the benefit system is a shambles when i was working I thought the same like yourself , but now i am on the recieving end i CAN see the faults in the system first hand and i now hear the latest is the government want to 'allocate the UN-employed community or other work or lose their benefits if they can find us work we should at least qualify for NMW..would you work for £50 a week, I will work but for a fair wage and not slave labour They need to target the yobs and work shy who have no intention of working .....
.PS at least I made a joke and laughed over it.....
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:17 PM

A year not working is a long time. Why do you think a job to suit your qualifications is going to pop up after so long, plus you are getting older as the days are slipping away. I'd take any job as you never know it may be one where you can climb the ladder if they think you have many skills. Plus it could be to your advantage to take a few small different jobs in a day which could bump up your pay. There are lots of driving jobs, taxi, prescription deliveries, bar work. Don't forget pride comes before a fall!!!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:31 PM

4 yrs ago hubby was finished work through ill health his sick pay was stopped and we waited for the next benefit to kick in but it didn't although I made repeated phone calls we received no money for 12 wks I made my weekly phone call and spoke to a young woman who informed she'd got a cheque waiting to be released but IB was holding it up then she said you've not any money for 12 wks that can't be right leave it with me I'll ring you back. She did 1hr later she said I've put it in the post for you £900 and there was another benefit that should have been paid so that's been backdated and a cheque for £1200 will be posted later today. They both arrived so did a letter fromDWP saying as we now had savings that would take us over the threshold we would no longer be able to clain full pension credit. When I pointed out we'd not had any money for 12 wks they said makes no difference it's in the bank so it's savings, I never made that mistake again. Oh he was on an oxygen machine 18hrs a day but they said he could walk 250 mtrs when he tried to claim dissabillity allowance and was refused. He got it the second time though. The benefits system stinks.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:38 PM

I have to agree with Gabi. No disrespect Steve, but you've put up a few threads about unemployment, and you've had a lot of good advice from folk.

I understand about the benefits you've been receiving about your wife and everything, but you need to be doing something for yourself. I understand that as well.

I wouldn't work for peanuts either but, if I had a mortgage to pay like yourself, I'd take anything as locally as I could to eliminate any expenditure which means using your car. I don't know your circumstances, but are there shops, factories, offices, you can walk to from where you live?

I wouldn't drive a 120 mile a day trip to go to work either, so that was a stupid suggestion by the Job Centre. I've read in earlier threads about you're being highly qualified but, unfortunately, those qualifications aren't helping you right now.

I don't believe in slave labour either but, unfortunately you've found yourself in a system whereby many people don't want to work, have no intentions of working, and think people who work are mugs. The system doesn't KNOW that you're genuine and, if you don't accept at least something, they put you in the same category. Sad, but true.

You must have a local newspaper with a Jobs Vacant section. Scour those, and keep going to the Job Centre as well. The job of your dreams won't just drop into your lap and I'm sorry if that sounds hard.

I do sympathise, but perhaps you local fast-food place is in need of a delivery driver. Go round and knock on doors - sell yourself. I'm sure you'll get something soon.

We get young lads and older blokes every day ringing to see if we've any vacancies for electricians or apprentices and we always say for them to send in a CV which is kept on file, and those files are looked at regularly. How many CVs have you sent to different companies?
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

06-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks Gabi...I am following up those lines of inquiry, part time full time temp etc ....However i have to be careful with some driving jobs. I am legally able to drive but should a company run a medical i wouldn't do to well especially for public services etc due to eyesight problems (which could at anytime get worse)...I haven't entirely given up on a job in my trade but you are right i shouldn't pin my hopes on it , and i haven't ...i have been applying for everything from dock work warehouse work shop work I have even drawn up a new CV which details experiences from 30 years ago , Unfortunately employers see me as a 25 yr skilled worker in another role in a higher pay bracket,, my feelings on this were confirmed by the job centre agent today she admitted that it does happen ...I am now enrolled in a back to work scheme which my hopefully may be able to bypass these prejudices as they act as a middle man I may even get some help to possibly take up a self employed role as i have being doing a bit of research ...I sometimes think if i had no education or skills i would have found it easier...Despite what people think it is not logical for me to shun work ,I would lose everything if i did ..... All i am trying to do is highlight the prejudices against the unemployed from companies ,and the government....
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:40 PM

We posted together, Steve, so see if anything I've said might help.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
A year not working is a long time. Why do you think a job to suit your qualifications is going to pop up after so long, plus you are getting older as the days are slipping away. I'd take any job as you never know it may be one where you can climb the ladder if they think you have many skills. Plus it could be to your advantage to take a few small different jobs in a day which could bump up your pay. There are lots of driving jobs, taxi, prescription deliveries, bar work. Don't forget pride comes before a fall!!!
And there are lots of delivery drivers out of work, bar work no, the bars take young ones on for a few hours a week. These small jobs no longer exist, most work nowadays is done on 6monthly contract for 20 hrs, or through agencies. You keep trying Steve, I for one believe you are, but some people don't know what it's like today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top