Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Re: Fashion

The Teddy boys were on the way out when I was a teenager and the Hippies hadn't arrived yet so I was stuck in the middle fashion wise, don't really know what we were called (Stupid, was used often by my parents). I remember buying one of those Beatle jackets, the ones with no collar, I thought I was the bees knees, and the trousers were very narrow, 16" was the usual.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
The Teddy boys were on the way out when I was a teenager and the Hippies hadn't arrived yet so I was stuck in the middle fashion wise, don't really know what we were called (Stupid, was used often by my parents). I remember buying one of those Beatle jackets, the ones with no collar, I thought I was the bees knees, and the trousers were very narrow, 16" was the usual.

I think Jim matey they were referred to as 'drain pipes'.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 01:39 PM

I mainly wear jeans, crop pants, jumpers, t shirts, blouses, knee length shorts. Used to like wearing the mini skirts. Bit to old theses days.
Never really liked dresses. Which is why I am finding it hard, to buy a dress for my daughters wedding.

Roaring 20s fashion looked rather good.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 01:55 PM

loved the 60s look right now I dress always in skirts when the weather is ok winter have to were velivit pants have never owned jeans
and never will
I love jewalry and always were it when I go out
love glitzy things
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Slightly off topic I know but - I've had one pair of jeans in my entire life. The first time they were washed I couldn't get into them afterwards so I've never had another pair !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

The 60's for me too, though I dithered between mods and rockers
Loved my white leather jacket with fringes but it didn't go with the mini skirt.
But when I started work in the city I became a 'proper' young lady.. we were not allowed to wear trousers my boss would have had an apoplectic fit if I'd worn mine and probably would have sacked me!
I do remember owning a foam backed coat!

Shame you didn't persevere with the jeans Alan, they stretch, and would have fitted you by the end of the day
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 04:05 PM

I love the 20s fashion and the music and also The new look,do you remember that!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 04:11 PM

How my son has reached his mid Fifties is a miracle, he would buy a pair of new Jeans put them on and sit in the bath in them till they shrank to fit him,then he would put them on the radiator and have his tea, get washed and ready to go out in partly wet jeans. This when he was 17.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I still have 2 dreses I bought in the 70a going out dreses
one is from a seccod hand shop I boight for a fanncy dress ball was made on princes street glasgow looks verry expensiff it was 20 pounds at the time
must find a phto off it
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 01:10 AM

I never wore white plastic knee boots, but leather ones, with my hot-pants and mini skirts and I thought I was IT when I got my first black leather jacket.

I used to try to wear the "Emma Peel" look, adopting and adapting where I could afford it.

Working for a firm of solicitors, us girls weren't allowed to wear trousers to work, and it was something that never occurred to me anyway in the 60s, and I only ever owned one pair of jeans, which I hated. I remember buying a pair of grey flannel bell-bottoms once though with a wide belt!

Who remembers wearing white at a dance hall that had ultra-violet lighting and it lit your clothes up purple?

Pixie, paying £20 for a second hand dress in the 70s was very expensive indeed. Hope you can find the photo.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top