Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Re: To Make You Smile?

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
As you know the withdrawal agreement came into effect 31st January 2020, however, the terms were agreed last October. So the EU are asking for funding for covid relief which is something that happened after the agreement was signed and came into effect. That is after we left. Furthermore, the UK were not party to these negotiations. The EU member states had a meeting and then presented UK with the bill AFTER we had left the EU. Good luck with that one.

" Since Britain left the EU, Brussels has increased its 2020 budget by more than €4 billion to fund a variety of coronavirus related schemes, of which €2.7 billion is to be used to fund an Emergency Support Instrument, "intended primarily as a down payment on any future coronavirus vaccine for the EU’s member states, using the EU’s collective buying power," the committee of MPs said in a report".
Sorry, rules are rules. But you may rest assured, if your arguments are valid they will be brought up by british lawyers at the ECJ. The court that has jurisdiction on this case.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
"Spiteful" might be a better word.
In a way, it is a sort of fight. A fight for freedom.

Like many others, I feel that we have been - still are being - taken advantage of by the EU leaders, in many ways.
They see us as a source of easy money and, at the same time, dictate to us what we can do and what we can't do.

I've already mentioned the apportionment of fishing rights in our own waters and, of course, the one-way traffic of illegal aliens from France to the UK, despite our paying the Frogs to keep hold of them.

And yes, I am proud to see that we have "won" our freedom from this expensive and inefficient organisation.

What? Inefficient?

Well, what is the advantage of constantly moving lock, stock and barrel from Brussels to Strasbourg and back again?
Is there some profit to be made from doing that?
Hello JBR, thank you for the help on "spiteful" I am still learning...

Honestly I do not see being "taken advantage of" but I am ok with that if you say many feel like that.

About moving Brussels<->Strassburg: that is actually driving me mad also as it costs 100m Euro per year. The official reason which I read is that the (business) opportunity of having such a prestigious location like Strassburg cannot been taken from the French.

That along with MEP payments (and free medical care for the entire family) have to be revised very urgently.

The EU definitively needs reforms. Imo after a change like one member leaving the EU must change to be better than before.

Honestly I am not sure if that will happen...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:20 PM

So "stupid brits" are those who exorcised their democtatic right and voted to leave the EU? Good. I think we are finally getting somewhere. Well, I voted leave so I suppose I'm stupid. But I'm not a "brit". So keep your childish insults to yourself. Okay?
I never realised you are not british. You see, normally members provide their city, country etc. I think the rules on the forum requires it. Tell me what you are and in the future I'll refer to you as a brummie or whatever you like. I could call you an ukkie, but that would be dutch.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-07-2020, 10:33 PM

Have you got any further with coming up with the evidence of the Johnson promise re the VAT on energy? The headline was misleading - if you read the story nowhere does it say that VAT will be scrapped after a vote to leave. I have no doubt the headline was designed to grab attention. It grabbed your attention, unfortunately,* you believed it.
Thank you for pointing out I should be careful in believing what british newspapers allude to what politicians have said. It means that a lying politician answers a question with 'yes', the lying papers say he has said 'no', making the public believe the politician answered truthfully.
However, forbes seems rather reliable, but you never can tell.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-07-2020, 11:42 PM

Exactly. Even if it was a promise, which it clearly wasn't, it could not be implemented until next year. We have left. Why don't these people just accept it and move on?
I almost dare not ask. How is your rating of The Sun?

EU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT*Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/121870...s-back-brexit/
BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain backs a Brexit.
Writing exclusively for the Sun, the Tory "Out" campaigners promise: "Fuel bills will be lower for everyone."
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Sorry, rules are rules. But you may rest assured, if your arguments are valid they will be brought up by british lawyers at the ECJ. The court that has jurisdiction on this case.
Rules are rules. Is that the gist of your argument? Awesome. So you go to a restaurant, have a nice meal, pay the bill and leave. You are about to get into the taxi and the waiter runs out after you and says the menu prices have increased since you paid the bill and you have to pay more!

Well, perhaps when it is contested* by British lawyers it will be after 31st December so the ECJ will have no say in it. No cutoms union, no single market and no ECJ. That's what leaving the EU means and that's what we voted for. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:17 AM

I never realised you are not british. You see, normally members provide their city, country etc. I think the rules on the forum requires it. Tell me what you are and in the future I'll refer to you as a brummie or whatever you like. I could call you an ukkie, but that would be dutch.

Where does it say in the forum rules that members have to provide their location? Contact the administrators if you believe I have broken the rules. Afterall, you seem to like rules. Besides, providing your location is not the same as providing your place of birth. There is a difference and I would have thought someone who believes in the free movement of people should realise that? A Brummie is a Brit so, as I am not a Brit, there's no point in calling me that. But you can call me whatever you want. I just don't think there's any point in resorting to personal insults. Obviously, you do not agree. Where was I born, what's my nationality? That's nobody's business but my own.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

09-07-2020, 08:55 AM

I almost dare not ask. How is your rating of The Sun?

EU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT*Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/121870...s-back-brexit/
BORIS Johnson and Michael Gove today promise to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain backs a Brexit.
Writing exclusively for the Sun, the Tory "Out" campaigners promise: "Fuel bills will be lower for everyone."

We have a saying here: "If it's in The Sun it must be true".

Look, I am only going to say this once. The referendum campaign is over. It can be reasonably argued that both sides were economic with the truth but it is now in the past, done and dusted and time to move on. The Leave side won and the fact that the Remain side ran a dreadful campaign probably had something to do with it.

A referndum that the Remain side couldn't lose was thrown away by their arrogance and inability to see the opposing campaign was running rings around them. And even after June 2016, when the votes were finally counted, they still had another three and a half years to snatch victory from defeat. And they also messed up this second opportunity. But some Remainers still moan and the more they do the louder us Leavers laugh as they continue to sulk like spoiled brats. They bring me hours of entertainment, yet in some strange way, they have my sympathy.

If you and our German friend (numbers) are happy with the EU then I am pleased for you. I hope you all have a bright future without us.

Now would you like to continue playing Remainer Bingo or do you want to accept the result and move on?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Well, perhaps when it is contested* by British lawyers it will be after 31st December so the ECJ will have no say in it. No cutoms union, no single market and no ECJ. That's what leaving the EU means and that's what we voted for. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
The ECJ will have jurisdiction on the irish border matters permanently.
Disputes on other matters originating during the transition period can be brought before the ECJ up till 4 years after the end of the transition.
The withdrawal agreement (plus protocol on ireland) has provisions for that. As you know the WA was negotiated by boris and ratified by your government.

I will look up the relevant texts and put them in this post as edits.

From the revised ireland protocol, article 12, paragraphs 4-7:
4. As regards the second subparagraph of paragraph 2 of this Article, Article 5 and Articles 7 to
10, the institutions, bodies, offices, and agencies of the Union shall in relation to the United
Kingdom and natural and legal persons residing or established in the territory of the United
Kingdom have the powers conferred upon them by Union law. In particular, the Court of
Justice of the European Union shall have the jurisdiction provided for in the Treaties in this
respect.
Thesecond and third paragraphs of Article 267 TFEU shall apply to and in the United
Kingdom in this respect.
5. Acts of the institutions, bodies, offices, and agencies of the Union adopted in accordance with
paragraph 4 shall produce in respect of and in the United Kingdom the same legal effects as
those which they produce within the Union and its Member States.
6. When representing or assisting a party in relation to administrative procedures arising from
the exercise of the powers of the institutions, bodies, offices, and agencies of the Union
referred to in paragraph 4, lawyers authorised to practise before the courts or tribunals of the
United Kingdom shall in every respect be treated as lawyers authorised to practise before
courts or tribunals of Member States who represent or assist a party in relation to such
administrative procedures.
7. In cases brought before the Court of Justice of the European Union pursuant to paragraph 4:
(a) the United Kingdom may participate in the proceedings before the Court of Justice of
the European Union in the same way as a Member State;
(b) lawyers authorised to practise before the courts or tribunals of the United Kingdom may
represent or assist a party before the Court of Justice of the European Union in such
proceedings and shall in every respect be treated as lawyers authorised to practise
before courts or tribunals of Member States representing or assisting a party before the
Court of Justice of the European Union.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-declaration

The Agreement provides that, within four years from the end of the transition period, the Commission may bring before the CJEU new infringement cases against the United Kingdom, concerning breaches of Union law which occurred before the end of the transition period.

Within the same period, the United Kingdom may also be brought before the CJEU for non-compliance with an administrative decision of a Union institution or body taken before the end of the transition period or, for certain procedures specifically identified in the Agreement, after the end of the transition period.

The CJEU jurisdiction for these new cases is consistent with the principle that the termination of a Treaty shall not affect any right, obligation or legal situation of the parties created prior to its termination. This ensures legal certainty and a level playing field between the EU Member States and the United Kingdom, with respect to situations occurring when the United Kingdom was under Union law obligations.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...n/qanda_20_104
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Rules are rules. Is that the gist of your argument? Awesome. So you go to a restaurant, have a nice meal, pay the bill and leave. You are about to get into the taxi and the waiter runs out after you and says the menu prices have increased since you paid the bill and you have to pay more!
You pay into the EU budget not for a service rendered (like serving a meal), but as your share of the costs of EU policies. That the UK doesn't have say in these policies during the transition period follows from the agreement (WA) boris negotiated for the UK. Go complain to boris!

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top