Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Poverty in the UK ?

We have people living on the streets, Food banks, children and adults begging on street corners, along with Muggings.

We hear people say they're living in poverty, on the bread line.

What I class as Poverty, is a lot different to that of lots of single parents, or many of the unemployed, especially of the younger generation.

But people tell me I am wrong.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Re: Poverty in the UK ?

I don't think you are wrong...today's interpretation of poverty is very different to mine. Can you imagine as a kid sitting in a house with an inside loo and a bath watching TV and playing computer games... it would be like winning the pools.

Today's interpretation of poverty is confusing and it's different to other countries who look at us like a third world country ...thinking many here live in 'poverty'
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:53 AM

It is thought provoking isnt it .

My thoughts are , a lot of young people feel entitled to benefits and support. If a girl gets pregnant she will be helped in every way , be that a hostel and eventually a flat /house all paid for and an allowance on top for living. Its almost as if its their right, question them and ask why didnt they consider before having the child the future they will say why should they think about it . Is this known as living in poverty , i think to some of them yes .

Someone who loses their job after working for years finding themselfs living on unemployment money is tremendous shock , if unable to find work then losing their mortgaged home , then spiraling downwards into benefit life living in differnt conditions . Awful for them

Then we have the families living on benefits who keep having children . Father not working yet the huge tvs , the cigarettes , and frozen food and take aways for meals .

Poverty in my eyes is those poor souls who live in other countries with flies buzzing around and little babies and children in rags and dirt. In this day and age too . Why ?

THATS POVERTY
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:19 AM

All we ever needed to survive was water, food & something to keep us warm when it was cold. Most people achieved that & those who didn't either died or got help from the welfare or charities. Governments created more housing & although I don't recall anybody being wealthy I can't recall anybody that didn't have food,water, and a roof over their heads where they could get warm.

These days people consider themselves poor if the don't have a TV, a phone & many other things that can be bought on the commercial markets... but that isn't poverty!

It is a sad fact that many feel it is the governments responsibility to provide for them, & this will continue the more governments provide, in the hope of gaining more votes.
The more they get something for doing nothing, the more likely we are to become a 3rd world country.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
It is thought provoking isnt it.

My thoughts are, a lot of young people feel entitled to benefits and support.If a girl gets pregnant she will be helped in every way, be that a hostel and eventually a flat /house all paid for and an allowance on top for living. Its almost as if its their right, question them and ask why didnt they consider before having the child the future they will say why should they think about it. Is this known as living in poverty, i think to some of them ye .

Someone who loses their job after working for years finding themselves living on unemployment money is tremendous shock, if unable to find work then losing their mortgaged home , then spiralling downwards into benefit life living in different conditions. Awful for them.

Then we have the families living on benefits who keep having children. Father not working yet the huge tvs, the cigarettes, and frozen food and take aways for meals.

Poverty in my eyes is those poor souls who live in other countries with flies buzzing around and little babies and children in rags and dirt. In this day and age too. Why ?

THATS POVERTY
Yes, it is very thought-provoking and with COVID-19 and the economy as it is, we will undoubtedly see more in the years to come. It's reckoned that many people today are only one or two pay cheques from losing everything, so plunged into poverty almost in an instant.

As you write though there are many definitions of poverty, depending on your view of the various situations you comment on. To me having the basics in life is not living in poverty. Some people though do regard poverty as being unable to have the latest mobile phone or being unable to afford holidays, often due to circumstances in which they find themselves.

A lack of taking personal responsibility is also another factor you outline. When there is not sufficient income to have a large family but some people continue producing children, relying on the state for more benefit money.

The link below, although ten months' old and a bit of a 'heavy' read, it does give a lot of interesting information on how various types of poverty are defined:

https://fullfact.org/economy/poverty...s-and-figures/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Poverty in a country is relative. I really don't want to see poor people on the side of the road, drinking dirty water with flies around their eyes in this country.
Poor kids in the UK don't have access to the internet to help with their education, that is a measure of poverty in my opinion.
Why are folk who have enough constantly harbouring jealous thoughts of those who are less fortunate?
Why not think you have enough to be grateful for by whatever means you came by it. Hard work or otherwise.

Some people should stop being so smug and self righteous.
It makes me sick!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:51 AM

Poverty in the UK is officially defined and is based on a household income below 60% of the average income.
I think to some extent how people spend the little money they have determines whether or not they live in poverty.

When I was growing up just after the war those around me had very little but we didn't consider ourselves to be 'living in poverty' it was the norm and you made the best of the little you had.

I have spent most of my life living on very little but it didn't bother me, I wasn't interested in that which others had or having the same things as everyone else had, as long as I was happy and covered my essential needs that was good enough fo me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
it is thought provoking isnt it .

My thoughts are , a lot of young people feel entitled to benefits and support. If a girl gets pregnant she will be helped in every way , be that a hostel and eventually a flat /house all paid for and an allowance on top for living. Its almost as if its their right, question them and ask why didnt they consider before having the child the future they will say why should they think about it . Is this known as living in poverty , i think to some of them yes .

Someone who loses their job after working for years finding themselfs living on unemployment money is tremendous shock , if unable to find work then losing their mortgaged home , then spiraling downwards into benefit life living in differnt conditions . Awful for them

then we have the families living on benefits who keep having children . Father not working yet the huge tvs , the cigarettes , and frozen food and take aways for meals .

Poverty in my eyes is those poor souls who live in other countries with flies buzzing around and little babies and children in rags and dirt. In this day and age too . Why ?

Thats poverty
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Short of finding some way of temporarily sterilising those who don't have the financial, intellectual nor emotional abilities to procreate and rear a child, there doesn't seem to be a plausable way of reducing the problem.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:35 AM

The definition of poverty in the UK involves a formula based on the mean average income.

While that is the case there will ALWAYS people who are said to be living in poverty.

There is absolutely no need for ANYONE in the UK to live in absolute poverty except perhaps illegals and I don't give a flying Aylesbury about them. They could die in the gutter for all I care in fact because they are illegal they eat by means of crime so if they did it would be a damned good thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top