Join for free
Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:18 PM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm a lifelong devotee of auto transmission and I can truthfully say it has never caused me any problem, in fact I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drive a manual particularly in town or city traffic. As Emjay says, anyway many autos these days have a manual option such as my Peugeot 508 has, and I have to admit I did try it once but I couldn't really see the point...
I think most have some type of manual operation. Mine for example - just push the lever to the right from Drive to a different gate and then forward to change down, backward to change up. Most of the time I only use it for engine braking going down hill.

The only difference to a manual box is that the change is quicker because no clutch is required and it won't let you put is it say first when you are doing 100kph.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm a lifelong devotee of auto transmission and I can truthfully say it has never caused me any problem, in fact I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drive a manual particularly in town or city traffic. As Emjay says, anyway many autos these days have a manual option such as my Peugeot 508 has, and I have to admit I did try it once but I couldn't really see the point...
I have had quite a few different cars. Some auto and some manual. The automatics were, on the whole, much more thirsty. The Jag XJS V12 the worst in that respect. On a long journey I sometimes got up to 20 mph. Around about 10-12 was more usual.

More recent was my Honda Accord EXEC. All the bells and whistles. Regularly 60 plus mph, sometimes 70 mph on a longer trip. And of course it has a six-speed manual box.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think most have some type of manual operation. Mine for example - just push the lever to the right from Drive to a different gate and then forward to change down, backward to change up. Most of the time I only use it for engine braking going down hill.

The only difference to a manual box is that the change is quicker because no clutch is required and it won't let you put is it say first when you are doing 100kph.
Is that a CVT automatic transmission Bruce?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I have had quite a few different cars. Some auto and some manual. The automatics were, on the whole, much more thirsty. The Jag XJS V12 the worst in that respect. On a long journey I sometimes got up to 20 mph. Around about 10-12 was more usual.

More recent was my Honda Accord EXEC. All the bells and whistles. Regularly 60 plus mph, sometimes 70 mph on a longer trip. And of course it has a six-speed manual box.
Truth be told, my Honda Accord sucks petrol but she’s pushing almost 400,000 kms yet purrs like a kitten. Still a good drive! Have to order parts from Japan though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:47 PM

Manual transmission drivers are not scared of Clutching at Straws.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 11:52 PM

An automatic for me every time . Why bother with that rubbish of gear changing , then of course the bugbear of hill starts ,life is too short to be worrying about such nonsense . IMO
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The Jag XJS V12 the worst in that respect. On a long journey I sometimes got up to 20 mph. Around about 10-12 was more usual.

The truck drivers must have hated you on the motorways.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Is that a CVT automatic transmission Bruce?
No, my previous car had CVT but that gearbox only had two modes, normal or sports.

You can't change gear in a CVT gearbox, one of the oddest thing was to accelerate and watch the revs on the engine go down while the car went faster as the gearbox did the work.

If you wanted t use the gearbox to brake you had to go into sports mode otherwise the car just went faster down hill the gearbox in normal mode offered no resistance at all - it was designed that way for fuel economy.

That car had a 1.5litre engine (it only weighed 0.75 tonnes) and got about 44mpg whereas my current car is 2 tonnes, has a 3 litre turbo diesel and gets 33mpg. My Morris 1000 was lucky to get 25mpg (ish)

Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top