Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Get a grip........

Last week i travelled by ferry to the Isle of Wight.

I was stunned to see just about everyone sat in the cafes & lounges busy with their computer gadgets.

Young kids, parents, grandparents, all twiddling away.

Worse still were businessmen talking ever so loudly to business associates.

I lead a sheltered life it seems. When did this transformation take place?

When did folks abandon talking to each other face to face, or stop to admire the view, or smell the roses.?

I think the LAW of unintended consequences is at work here as are many other aspects of life today.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Re: Get a grip........

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Such a shame aint it RJ - its not a good outlook for the future, fortunately I can look back
Love that message Ania
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:58 AM

It IS sad. And for some reason I find it even more annoying when everyone is using touchscreens. All those fingers stabbing away...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 11:01 AM

It has been a gradual transformation Imo RJ, a few folks have been expressing concern for a good few years, but there are none as deaf as those who do not want to hear, or maybe of course, want to hear, but are just listening on a different frequency.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 12:09 PM

That's why I love my walking group - NO PHONES, BEAUTIFUL SCENARY, GREAT FELLOWSHIP . PERFICK
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 12:22 PM

It's just like going camping. It seems like caravanners can't go away without a massive satellite dish, 50" plasma TV, Internet and of course if they can't get a mobile phone signal, they will move on.

I think it's a sign of insecurity and an inability to communicate person to person.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 02:13 PM

The digital revolution is lost on me too Robert, but for a different reason.

I think the whole portable communication/ interaction thing, (mobiles / tablets / iPads etc.), has gone too far and there no longer any respect for anyone with customers carrying on their all-important 'phone calls at checkouts, regardless of anyone else; people walking down the street in the early hours ringing up people regardless of the time and people in queues who simply do not talk to each other 'cos they're too engrossed with whatever they are doing with their mobile / tablet / iPad!

I see people driving, motor-cycling or just cycling clutching mobiles and if I get another shop assistant putting up his hand to stop me 'cos his precious mobile rings I will shove it where he'd least appreciate - sideways!

The capitalist world has become a disrespectful, thoughtless couldn't-care-less place and I'm being shunted out because my hearing loss excludes me.

The last laugh will be mine though when the news comes out that the world's becoming a much noisier; fact, and holding 'phones to your ears or using headphones for too many hours a day can damage your hearing, fact! stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
It's just like going camping. It seems like caravanners can't go away without a massive satellite dish, 50" plasma TV, Internet and of course if they can't get a mobile phone signal, they will move on.

I think it's a sign of insecurity and an inability to communicate person to person.
I agree Grumblewagon, folks seem to be seeking a 24/7 diversion, some of us were not fooled as kids, by the toys in the Doctors Waiting Room.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 02:19 PM

I seem to have hit a topic where there is high degree of concern & consensus
Thanks for your replies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top