Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:00 PM

The Bells

We used to go into the city centre to hear the bells from Christchurch ring in the new year, the church was originally built in 1028 or thereabouts. There will be fireworks and a big crowd there tonight as it's not too cold, they wouldn't dare to start charging for it. Lots of courting couples go in the hope of good luck in the new year, it's a big favourite with the young.
Anyone going to pay £10 to see the fireworks in London tonight?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Re: The Bells

Originally Posted by Jem ->
We used to go into the city centre to hear the bells from Christchurch ring in the new year, the church was originally built in 1028 or thereabouts. There will be fireworks and a big crowd there tonight as it's not too cold, they wouldn't dare to start charging for it. Lots of courting couples go in the hope of good luck in the new year, it's a big favourite with the young.
Anyone going to pay £10 to see the fireworks in London tonight?
You're not going then Jem - what about the younger family members ........?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Eek! Do they charge for the London fireworks now, then?

I suspect I'll be tucked up in bed long before midnight...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You're not going then Jem - what about the younger family members ........?
Sadly no Patsy, the crowds are a bit too much for us now, me son and his wife will be there, my daughter is minding their little fella for them this year.

[QUOTE=orangutan;583007]Eek! Do they charge for the London fireworks now, then?

It was all on the news last night Ania, £10 a head from now on, I thought all the Londoners would be up in arms over it, is there nothing left that they can't stick money on?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:21 PM

How did I miss that when I watched lots of news last night?

Actually, at the risk of being rather controversial, I've always thought that far too much money is spent on these fireworks displays, so I'm not totally against them being charged for. But I'm probably biassed as I never go to see them live, only watch on TV...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

31-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Someone has to pay for them I know but how come they managed all those years without charging, surely the council has a fund for providing for public events, council taxes and what have you, besides I hear the £5 levy for bringing your car to central London has doubled to £10, London must be nearly as dear a place to live as Dublin is now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 09:28 PM

I am baby sitting the three little ones and a Zak a poorly dog
so I may catch some free fireworks on the hills when I take the dogs in the garden to pee
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 11:50 AM

My sons and girlfriends were going to a club in Glasgow last night. £100 to book a table .

Have to say that accord ing to the Facebook posts and pics they looked like they were having a ball!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 12:24 PM

Is there really any point in people paying to watch fireworks when the majority of them go up into the sky and can be seen from almost anywhere?
There was an incredible display here last night, we could see them all along the coast, from every bar and restaurant and also the official displays too, it was like a war zone, poor little ChoCho was terrified, as usual. Then we had it all again at 1 a.m. when the British decided to have new year again on the British midnight. The Russians had theirs at 11 p.m. and it seemed it was fireworks and more fireworks from around 8 p.m. until 4 in the morning.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Loretta I do feel sorry for animals when fireworks are going off. Poor wee things

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top