Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 04:45 PM

In fear of Energy Bills!

Ever since the cold snap hit us I've been worrying myself silly over our energy consumption so today was quite a momentous day - we got our Energy Statement in from OVO and it was exactly what I calculated myself.

Bit higher than I'd hoped but then, I've been a bit worried about my wife at home in these bitterly cold days recently so I insisted that she turn the heating up.

She of course did her usual thing - she ignored me - which really doesn't help me at all!

The problem is that she knows that these Energy Bills hit us particularly hard in the winter, especially as so much comes up in the early part of the year that impinges on everything like car tax, MOT and Annual Car service but these are things that you have no choice with and although we try to budget for them, the family's pre-Christmas problems tend to take over and we help out even though by rights we should really say NO!

They're in their FORTIES!

With the start of a New Year we have decided that it all has to end and we simply MUST look after ourselves first as our income has not gone up yet bills do, all the time.

It is the only resolution we have made and we know we MUST stick to it.

How many others have done this? stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 04:51 PM

Re: In fear of Energy Bills!

Steve. Story of my life, although I only really help if I now really need to. Sometimes I think you can be too generous.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Sometimes you have to cut then loose for their own good. The more you prop them up the more they will depend on you.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Sometimes you have to cut then loose for their own good. The more you prop them up the more they will depend on you.
Yes, I have to agree with that and it does them no good in the end.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Our central heating just does not seem to cope in really cold weather,yesterday we put a electric fan heater on to boost the room temperature up .We too have a lot of paying out at this time of year, So im not looking forward to the fuel bill coming in .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

01-01-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm getting a new gas central heating system put in sometime soon. At the moment we pay a monthly fee for heating and hot water. I just hope the bills don't go up! It worries me a bit.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Ever since the cold snap hit us I've been worrying myself silly over our energy consumption so today was quite a momentous day - we got our Energy Statement in from OVO and it was exactly what I calculated myself.

Bit higher than I'd hoped but then, I've been a bit worried about my wife at home in these bitterly cold days recently so I insisted that she turn the heating up.

She of course did her usual thing - she ignored me - which really doesn't help me at all!

The problem is that she knows that these Energy Bills hit us particularly hard in the winter, especially as so much comes up in the early part of the year that impinges on everything like car tax, MOT and Annual Car service but these are things that you have no choice with and although we try to budget for them, the family's pre-Christmas problems tend to take over and we help out even though by rights we should really say NO!

They're in their FORTIES!

With the start of a New Year we have decided that it all has to end and we simply MUST look after ourselves first as our income has not gone up yet bills do, all the time.

It is the only resolution we have made and we know we MUST stick to it.

How many others have done this? stevmk2
I wouldn't witty about it Steve, if I owe money it is them that have to worry when or are they going to get it.

We just have had a review of our power bill, they put it up by virtually a third, now I find that strange as I fitted an ECO boiler 12 months ago.
Just going to do a bit of comparing of power companies give them my yearly readings and woe be tide NP if I am right.
I have a feeling they think of a number double and plus the first number they thought of.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:17 PM

I don't like the early months of each year as it too is when I have all my car expenses. Insurance is due on the 9th, and have got my renewal. I could try to bring it down but I need to find the bit of paper on which I wrote details of the claim made against me a few years back, in case I need it for other insurance company quotes.

And I also worry about the electricity bill.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Don't forget if you're disabled or on Pension Credits you can apply for Warm Home Discount of about £140 through your electricity supplier.
What irks me is that my sister (the drunken millionaire) gets heating allowance and cold weather payments, she lives in a 5 bed-roomed house on her own. I can't get any of it despite disabilities, every time I get near pension age it goes up! I don't think I'll get a pension until I'm 67 or 68 because I was born in the wrong year!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:34 PM

I'm not too unhappy with my heating bill as the price of oil has come down. The insulation that I installed is also paying dividends. Biggest bill is electricity - partly because of our lifestyle. We grow a lot of fruit & veges, raise our own pigs and buy some food in bulk. This requires a lot of freezer space and even if they are A+ rating, they add quite a bit to the bill. All electric cooking costs too.

At least car insurance here is relatively cheap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top