Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Re: In fear of Energy Bills!

The winter we don't worry about too much as we pay by DD so bills are same all year round, but we then calculate when they tell us to raise the DD if we really need to, if they had their way we would be paying double but end of the summer we are always in credit so what we are already paying covers the cost easily.

Something I would say about helping family out is watching my grandparents help my parents then my sisters none of them starved when nan and granddad died and none of them were very grateful for any help they had.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 08:52 PM

You can only do so much Steve.
Gas and electricity are semi state run here so we let them deduct so much every week from our state pension, during the Winter months we get an extra 20 euros per week allowance (Oct. to April, a bag of coal costs 21 euro now), when the price of power goes up we let them deduct a few more euros, that way you don't feel it so much and when the big bills come in we are always in credit, far less painful that way I think.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 08:56 PM

I hate the energy bills coming in, and what really irks me is the standing charges , they have a damn cheek, but what can you do , just have to pay up and shut up.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The winter we don't worry about too much as we pay by DD so bills are same all year round, but we then calculate when they tell us to raise the DD if we really need to, if they had their way we would be paying double but end of the summer we are always in credit so what we are already paying covers the cost easily..
We are the same...DD covers the bill year round and we too start the winter in credit.

Our girls all had to learn to stand on their own feet for their own sakes, wouldn't want to be cash cows for their convenience.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Don't forget if you're disabled or on Pension Credits you can apply for Warm Home Discount of about £140 through your electricity supplier.
What irks me is that my sister (the drunken millionaire) gets heating allowance and cold weather payments, she lives in a 5 bed-roomed house on her own. I can't get any of it despite disabilities, every time I get near pension age it goes up! I don't think I'll get a pension until I'm 67 or 68 because I was born in the wrong year!
Yes Twiz, that's when it's very unfair.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
We are the same...DD covers the bill year round and we too start the winter in credit.

Our girls all had to learn to stand on their own feet for their own sakes, wouldn't want to be cash cows for their convenience.
Pats I don't know what I'd do without direct debits. After thirty odd years I'm in a single world now and my wages have to stretch. Its a bit of a reality check
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:48 PM

I've spent many years on my own bringing a child up and with only part time work and few handouts, they weren't so generous years ago, you learn to be very economical with everything as there were no parents in the background to help out.
The only way to help anyone, in my opinion, is to let them stand on their own two feet - it's the only way to learn, harsh but true.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:54 PM

We too pay by DD it takes the worry away and we are warm and cosy. We did teach ours to be independent adults what you can't afford you do without.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
We too pay by DD it takes the worry away and we are warm and cosy. We did teach ours to be independent adults what you can't afford you do without.
My thoughts exactly, they have to learn just as we did.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 02:50 AM

Good for you. You've made the right decision. It's that old "cruel to be kind" thing. Constantly rescuing adult children is the worst thing you can do for them. What happens when you're no longer here or no longer have the money? They will learn to manage! Which is what they should have done in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top