Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 03:40 AM

Re: In fear of Energy Bills!

Steve, if your kids are in their 40s, don't you think it's about time they stood on their own feet instead of expecting financial help from their parents? I can't even believe they'd ask that of you.

I got married at age 22, went straight away to live in Germany and we never asked our parents for one penny piece. We both worked and were totally independent, which was how we were brought up by both sets of parents.

As to the heating situation. My boiler was condemned in September 2013 so I haven't had any central heating since then. I've just turned 65 so not getting any younger. My way of coping is just by heating my living room with a couple of electric heaters and, to be honest, despite the coldish weather I've been having to turn them off as I'm too warm, and I'm only 7st in weight so not much meat on me! I wear thick clothing and I have blankets standing at the ready for if it gets too cold. If you note the time of this post, I've no heating on at all and I'm really warm. Mindst, it's freezing upstairs, but we old pioneers make mend and do as befits our circumstances. However, having said that, this - no - last year - 2014 - our coldest day was 27 December when there was ice which disappeared overnight, but nothing before or since, thank goodness.

I too pay by DD and last time I looked online I'm in credit. I'm not entitled to a new central heating boiler because I'm not on benefits as I work part time and on the pension. Go figure, but I can't afford a new boiler, so I manage.

It's that washing in cold water which is the worst part - brrrr - but rubbing me face with the towel brings a glow to me little cheeks, then I get dressed as fast as I can!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Ever since the cold snap hit us I've been worrying myself silly over our energy consumption so today was quite a momentous day -
If you choose to live in the Arctic Circle you need to expect to spend a lot of money on heating or very thick pullovers.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Steve, if your kids are in their 40s, don't you think it's about time they stood on their own feet instead of expecting financial help from their parents? I can't even believe they'd ask that of you.

I got married at age 22, went straight away to live in Germany and we never asked our parents for one penny piece. We both worked and were totally independent, which was how we were brought up by both sets of parents.

As to the heating situation. My boiler was condemned in September 2013 so I haven't had any central heating since then. I've just turned 65 so not getting any younger. My way of coping is just by heating my living room with a couple of electric heaters and, to be honest, despite the coldish weather I've been having to turn them off as I'm too warm, and I'm only 7st in weight so not much meat on me! I wear thick clothing and I have blankets standing at the ready for if it gets too cold. If you note the time of this post, I've no heating on at all and I'm really warm. Mindst, it's freezing upstairs, but we old pioneers make mend and do as befits our circumstances. However, having said that, this - no - last year - 2014 - our coldest day was 27 December when there was ice which disappeared overnight, but nothing before or since, thank goodness.

I too pay by DD and last time I looked online I'm in credit. I'm not entitled to a new central heating boiler because I'm not on benefits as I work part time and on the pension. Go figure, but I can't afford a new boiler, so I manage.

It's that washing in cold water which is the worst part - brrrr - but rubbing me face with the towel brings a glow to me little cheeks, then I get dressed as fast as I can!
Mollie!!!!

Are you trying to tell me that you don't have any hot water? You can't live like that!! Surely you must get some help. Nobody would want to know that you're living in that type of condition, no heating or hot water. Do try to find out more.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mollie!!!!

Are you trying to tell me that you don't have any hot water? You can't live like that!! Surely you must get some help. Nobody would want to know that you're living in that type of condition, no heating or hot water. Do try to find out more.
I agree - forget yer pride Mollie and have a word with Age Concern - they will help you ......
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Mollie Iīm like you - just a gas fire in the living room and plenty of warm clothing. If I need hot water, I just boil a kettle on the gas stove, and an immersion heater for baths. Central heating has become a luxury afforded only by the wealthy and a wasteful way of heating a whole house full of rooms rarely use if living alone. I realise there are complex controls to help with this, but I just canīt be bothered to spend all that extra cash to have them installed and still have to run an expensive-to-maintain boiler.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 12:44 PM

I no longer fear electricity bills because I am in control of them. Like Steve I am with OVO and I set the agenda.
I pay a direct debit (which I will not have altered) and build up a nice surplus to go into the winter. If the surplus gets too high I request money back which arrives in days.
I submit my own meter readings once a month and am able to generate an instant and clear online bill, I can generate a bill every two weeks if I choose.

So I am able to keep track of my usage and account all the time which means there are no nasty surprises
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
Mollie Iīm like you - just a gas fire in the living room and plenty of warm clothing. If I need hot water, I just boil a kettle on the gas stove, and an immersion heater for baths. Central heating has become a luxury afforded only by the wealthy and a wasteful way of heating a whole house full of rooms rarely use if living alone. I realise there are complex controls to help with this, but I just canīt be bothered to spend all that extra cash to have them installed and still have to run an expensive-to-maintain boiler.
Sorry I don't go with that at all, we are far from wealthy but manage to maintain a boiler and heat the flat. Pay a service charge to BGas to cover the boiler and use DD to budget for the heating.

Mind we use all our rooms as we are 3/5 depending who is staying here. But even if I were alone I would do the same and just turn off the radiators in the rooms I didn't use.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Mollie!!!!

Absolutely agree with you Jazzi.
They have got to help you. What if you succumb to the flu this year as well, it's a bit late to find out what to do after you've been hospitalised with Hyperthermia! For heavens sake make enquiries NOW, and don't take no for an answer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Are we allowed to name other forums because there is a forum where they name all grants and help available.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top