Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Re: Sink Blockage Disaster

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Lead pipes are still to be found in old installations. Using acid to clear a blockage effectively creates a lead-acid battery. These are capable of high discharge rates. Touching one can in certain circumstances can allow the current to go through the body directly to earth creating an electric shock for the person.

A bit like dropping a switched on hair drier in the bath when you are in it.
Great answer - an old building in London - I think you've cracked it !
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Great answer - an old building in London - I think you've cracked it !
On the other hand, I might be cracked...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:11 AM

On the other hand, I might be cracked...
Well there is that possibility
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:54 AM

Lead pipes are still to be found in old installations. Using acid to clear a blockage effectively creates a lead-acid battery. These are capable of high discharge rates. Touching one can in certain circumstances can allow the current to go through the body directly to earth creating an electric shock for the person.

Sounds highly unlikely to me. Whilst it is true it could possibly form a lead acid battery under a very unusual set of circumstances (ie you need two separated pieces of lead for a start) the voltage would only be 2V across the terminals and where would they be? again it is true a good lead acid battery has low internal resistance and can supply a high current - one, not very efficient, 2v cell is unlikely to push much current through a human body.

Vaguely possible but highly unlikely much more likely to be a mains fault somewhere. Especially with the reported flashes and long lasting electric shock. Clever theory but I would be amazed if it was true.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 01:45 PM

There could be quite a few reasons, including all of the ones mentioned. As to being highly unlikely, I'm not sure.

Think about this: A short while ago, it was proven that a battery made from a single potato could light a room for a period of 40 days. It goes to reason that a blocked sink might have the capability to make more power than that single potato.

Not in any way trying to promote an arguement, only discussion.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 01:48 PM

There could be quite a few reasons, including all of the ones mentioned. As to being highly unlikely, I'm not sure.

Think about this: A short while ago, it was proven that a battery made from a single potato could light a room for a period of 40 days. It goes to reason that a blocked sink might have the capability to make more power than that single potato.

Not in any way trying to promote an arguement, only discussion.
I know its not quite the same, but chargers being used incorrectly have caused numerous fires, so I would guess in this case it was a combination of what you say - the earth thingy and the acid combined ........
Fender Bender
By the pc

04-01-2015, 01:56 PM

Might try the potato thing...if anyone sees a big blue flash, its me!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:08 PM

What confuses me is what was the plumber holding?

It does sound a bit of an urban myth??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
What confuses me is what was the plumber holding?

It does sound a bit of an urban myth??
Huh ? The guy died ......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Might try the potato thing...if anyone sees a big blue flash, its me!
Don't do anything hasty

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top