Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:08 PM

Can you believe it?

The door bell rang this morning. When I answered the door there was a couple trying to introduce me to Watchtower magazine and their deity. Can't they read? Shouldn't they be in church or something? I was almost lost for words.

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Re: Can you believe it?

Bruce, they are so into their beliefs that I don't think that would put them off.

Mind you. I wouldn't put a notice like that on my door.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:11 PM

No I don't believe it.......you lost for words !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Many religions say the believers have to spread the word, I try to be as nice as possible to them as mostly they don't want to be there any more than we want them to be. I find if I tell them I have been married for over 30 years and have my own beliefs they are fine and completely satisfied and go away quite quickly.

Now if only atheists on the internet would do the same would be a far more peaceful world
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Bruce, they are so into their beliefs that I don't think that would put them off.

Mind you. I wouldn't put a notice like that on my door.
How else are you supposed to stop people selling solar panels, power contracts, telecom deals and the like from calling? It works really well this was the first unwelcome caller I have had for ages.

If I remember correctly that sticker came from my power supplier to stop rivals calling however even the federal government supply them free of charge. Or used to - since the pro business Libs got in you have to print your own.

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How else are you supposed to stop people selling solar panels, power contracts, telecom deals and the like from calling? It works really well this was the first unwelcome caller I have had for ages.

If I remember correctly that sticker came from my power supplier to stop rivals calling however even the federal government supply them free of charge. Or used to - since the pro business Libs got in you have to print your own.
Bruce, I know people who have stickers like that on their doors. I'm not condemning you :- . To me I'd be disrespecting someone. But that's me.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 12:51 PM

In some ways I'm with Bruce.

We often get cold-callers here, including the religious ones, despite this being a No Cold Calling Area and, most of the time a simple No Thanks to the religious ones is enough.

However, on one occasion two years ago, a young couple knocked on our door and went into their spiel before I had a chance to say a word.

I said that I wasn't interested and also explained that I am deaf too after having to ask the woman twice what she had said, and I was about to close the door when the woman put her foot there then threatened me with some kind of divine punishment if I closed the door on her!

I told her that if she didn't remove her foot immediately I'd exercise my legal right to eject her forcibly from my property and call the Police.

The look that she gave me left me in wondering just which deity she worshipped!

I've heard worse than that in the past but we find that our cultist neighbours have cornered the market on swift responses to religious callers so the word must spread!

They really know their Bible! stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many religions say the believers have to spread the word, I try to be as nice as possible to them as mostly they don't want to be there any more than we want them to be. I find if I tell them I have been married for over 30 years and have my own beliefs they are fine and completely satisfied and go away quite quickly.

Now if only atheists on the internet would do the same would be a far more peaceful world
I am always very polite; I used to smile and explain that I find it quite amazing that normal, sane, intelligent looking people can believe in fairies, deities or super natural beings and how this trait can be explained by evolution and science. By the time I had finished, or even before, they were usually ready to leave. However with these people I told them all about the benefits of education and literacy in the modern world, they left apologising profusely.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

04-01-2015, 01:00 PM

I don't even remember my own house phone number! I use a cheap add on for my mobile for everything. Only two people have my house number. I'm not going down the road of constant cold calls again. Its worked so far!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am always very polite; I used to smile and explain that I find it quite amazing that normal, sane, intelligent looking people can believe in fairies, deities or super natural beings and how this trait can be explained by evolution and science. By the time I had finished, or even before, they were usually ready to leave. However with these people I told them all about the benefits of education and literacy in the modern world, they left apologising profusely.
I am afraid I don't see that as being particularly polite or respectful of their religion and right to hold their own beliefs.

Until someone can actually prove to me there is no God I see atheism as just another belief anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top