Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Re: Can you believe it?

I never open the door if I don't feel like opening it. I usually know when someone is coming to visit me. My family all have keys. If I was in any way puzzled by the door knocking then I'd ignore it. It's my space . I'd rather do that than be rude to someone at the door.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:49 PM

Fortunately we have a gate, which is kept locked - we have the excuse of having a dog and wouldn't want anyone coming onto the property and letting her out by accident.

We too know who is going to turn up - having moved up here and away from family and friends we have to 'book' to meet up.

We had the added bonus of having one of those wireless door bells, that invariably only work for a few months. We were on to our second one and when that gave up the ghost we took it off and didn't bother replacing it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Sorry, Bruce, but if I was one of those 'religious loonies' that your sign refers to I think I'd be tempted to knock just because of your sign...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I never open the door if I don't feel like opening it. I usually know when someone is coming to visit me. My family all have keys. If I was in any way puzzled by the door knocking then I'd ignore it. It's my space . I'd rather do that than be rude to someone at the door.
My neighbours all knock if they need anything from taking in parcels, watering plants to letting a dog out so I do not like leave a knock unanswered. We are a small isolated community here and rely on each other for a number of things. That is how things are in the country
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am not so polite I consider visits by these people to be an invasion of my privacy coming on to my property uninvited and I have been known to tell them so. I don't knock on their door telling them I am a Humanist and exhorting them to join me ..
I think they are used to rudeness or abuse (they must be surely?) and find a friendly conversation far more disconcerting. And it was a conversation but with me doing most of the talking - as soon as they start to talk about god I cut them off to drag the discussion back on track. As we have discussed elsewhere - "My house, my rules"

As I say it rarely happens now the sign seems to work.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Sorry, Bruce, but if I was one of those 'religious loonies' that your sign refers to I think I'd be tempted to knock just because of your sign...
That's fine but like them I guarantee you won't come back for a second visit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think they are used to rudeness or abuse (they must be surely?) and find a friendly conversation far more disconcerting. And it was a conversation but with me doing most of the talking - as soon as they start to talk about god I cut them off to drag the discussion back on track. As we have discussed elsewhere - "My house, my rules"

As I say it rarely happens now the sign seems to work.
Bruce been there done that with a nice young man from the Mormons

What really used to annoy me was the couple of JWs who brought a small child with them and ask for a glass of water as way of guaranteeing access to ones time.

They rarely come now .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 12:07 AM

If they call at my door I always politely say I am not interested thank you. Sometimes I get the response "Why not?" .... now that does annoy me so I shut the door on them
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 10:26 AM

I haven't seen any Mormons for some time but JWs built a 'Kingdom Hall' in the village - and have been a real nuisance ever since. I appreciate it is a requirement of their religion for them to be evangelical - but they are so persistent - even though our street has been designated a 'no cold calling' area.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top