Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Marriage - RIP

Back in the day, marriage was something to aspire to.

Something to plan together.

A commitment.

Now, it is disappearing.

Cost of Reception?

Cost of dress?

My assessment is that neither party wants to be committed these days.

Sad, really. I still remember getting down on one knee.

It was a magic moment.

What a loss?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 10:48 PM

Re: Marriage - RIP

I don"t believe it is disappearing ,I believe it is still alive & kicking .
lol
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 11:25 PM

Couples still like to marry though and I think they go into it with right intention and hope . There are more choices nowadays and people always want more and expect more than maybe in your younger days Ted . I think marriage was till death do us part as there were less choices and folk worked hard believing it to be the right thing through tough times . Younger people want and expect a faster life and if the marriage turns sour they wont stay.

Many stayed in uncomfortable marriages as did my parents . You made the bed you lay in it was the attitude and a lot of unhappiness came from it . Younger people refuse to be unhappy nowadays as they have choices .

I made those choices in my life and moved on but I have to say it would have been wonderful to have had a happy loving marriage for life . I was never that lucky
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 11:31 PM

When you are young and in love why ever should you not want to marry ?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 11:37 PM

Yes being young and being in love is wonderful isn't it . All that effervessance and hope excitement and future is a glorious feeling . Sadly for some it doesn't last
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 11:38 PM

Marriage is a partnership and has to be worked at. Sue and I have had our ups and downs and arguments like most couples.

One of the problems now is youngsters want everything at once, house- furniture-holidays etc etc and still go out and enjoy themselves with having meals out and the like

On the subject of marriage they want a grand affair costing umpteen thousands of pounds just to show off to friends and relatives. They are not prepaired for just a small do and a couple of close relatives. The next day is the same with having had a huge expensive wedding or not.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:12 AM

With my hand on my heart I swear that I still often think of our wedding day on May 6th 1989. WE had 60 people. All close rellos and friends. All people that were genuinely joyous to be there and celebrate our day with us. People that loved us (Past tense only meaning some are no longer with us) My wife's mother made her dress and those of the 2 bridesmaids which were all exquisite and her best friend did her makeup. Me and my two best guys bought our dinner suits which we all still have, and the alcohol..which we don't. My father in law with his band played the music. All top shelf quality jazz. WE had it at our local golf club which was a stone's throw from the Pacific Ocean and after the reception we all went surfing. (Not in our finery) The whole lot (Not counting the grog) cost us no more than $4000 and most people there said it was the best wedding they had ever been to. And the marriage that has followed has been every bit as good. WE are not special. We are just lucky. And we've worked at it. I know lots of people like us. So I have to strenuously object your honour. Marrige is far from dead IMHO. )
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:26 AM

Sue and I got married on 4th march 1972 in our local church.
Had 70 guests for a sit down hot meal, it was snowing outside I remember. yes I hired a top hat and tails,. looked more like a penguin than a groom, never again. reception in a local hall.
first night our house wasn't ready , cousins sold it to us at cost price and needed to get it finished inside.
we could not even afford a honeymoon until

Next day we flew to Tunisia for our honeymoon. Sue had done a lot of work for a travel agent and he got us the holiday for 7 nights in a 5* hotel right on the beach. Cost in total wait for it

£25 in total for both of us including flight and hotel
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:26 AM

To be successful, never stop suspecting yourself, or your other half.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
When you are young and in love why ever should you not want to marry ?
No. I never did. ...
but do understand the concept

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top