Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 11:27 PM

Ember Attack!

Thought you might like to see this:

This burnt gum leaf was in my garden this morning, the nearest fire is 28km away so it shows how far debris can travel - it probably came from the south where the fire is now 30km away and last night there was a strong southerly change that wreaked havoc on the fire fronts.

This leaf was obviously dead when it arrived but it just goes to show. Ember attack can start spot fires several kms down wind of any fire.

The photo was taken on a table on my back patio if you look closely you can see the ash that arrived during the night. I have to wipe/brush my outdoor furniture every morning because of this (and clean the solar panels on my car port).

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020473.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	11354  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 11:42 PM

Re: Ember Attack!

Yep we are getting them too. We are at Point Clare which is 30 kms from The Gospers Mountain fire. It still hasn't jumped The Hawkesbury..fingers crossed. If it gets into Somersby we have BIG problems. It is a waiting game.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 11:50 PM

It's been raining here since 6 am,I wish I could send some your way chaps.Good Luck!
LilyCat
Cheshire
LilyCat is female  LilyCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:05 AM

I’m a newbie who’s just finding my way around all the forums, but couldn’t read this thread and not say anything.
I’m so sad to see this catastrophe playing out across our media. I can’t even begin to imagine what you guys, who are actually living it, are going through
Thinking of you all and sending much love xx
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by LilyCat ->
I’m a newbie who’s just finding my way around all the forums, but couldn’t read this thread and not say anything.
I’m so sad to see this catastrophe playing out across our media. I can’t even begin to imagine what you guys, who are actually living it, are going through
Thinking of you all and sending much love xx
Received with great thanks LilyCat. We'll beat those bloody fires. We've done it before and we'll do it again.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 08:07 AM

I was very pleased to hear that our Defence Force are coming over to help as well as firefighters. Hope things improve soon.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 09:52 AM

I hope all of our Aussie members will post , when they can, because it is a comfort to know that you are safe.

I have friends and family over there & I have to admit that I am disturbed every time I hear the news.... I just have to remember that they probably have more important things to deal with at the moment, than to keep me informed!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 10:42 AM

People are extremely brave to stay in their homes, you can donate money to Australian Red Cross and and GoFundMe to help Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I hope all of our Aussie members will post , when they can, because it is a comfort to know that you are safe.

I have friends and family over there & I have to admit that I am disturbed every time I hear the news.... I just have to remember that they probably have more important things to deal with at the moment, than to keep me informed!
I am in the same boat. Not heard from my Sis-in-Law for weeks now. They live in Killcare.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:38 AM

We too have friends and relatives in Oz who we worry for, but to all of you Australians know that we are thinking of you all and wishing you all the best for an end to these horrendous fires..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top