Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 09:18 PM

Ricky Gervais said ...

... at the Golden Globes. "Let's have a laugh at your expense, Remember they're just jokes. We're all gonna die soon and there's no sequel, so remember that."

"You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg."

The Office was landmark TV Entertainment but OMG after years of his tedious and naive views on religion/atheism, we deserve better than him. He's over the hill.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 09:30 PM

Re: Ricky Gervais said ...

I don't particularly like Ricky Gervais, but I now have a modicum of respect for him after he laid into the audience and told them all what a lot of people actually think of them. Is someone supposed to be especially important because they memorise some words and pretend to be someone else for a couple of hours? Someone sings a bit and we're all supposed to be agog for their views on whatever topic will make their social media account trend? I'm quite glad someone popped their little bubbles of vanity and self-esteem for once.

Some of the faces in the audience were priceless.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 09:43 PM

He says the same thing ever year doesn't he?Just changes the names.By taking the gig he's no better than them anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 10:28 PM

I thought his speech was brilliant. It's what most of us think of the luvvy film industry patting themselves on the back.

''So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and f--- off''

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:21 PM

I think Ricky Gervais is a very funny and clever guy. The best thing he has ever done is "Derek". But I think it would take more than Gervais to seriously dent some of the monumental egos in that room. I think they see him more as a naughty clown hired to "roast" them. People who have that level of self importance love having the p#ss taken out of them. Roasting is the new fawning. Makes them feel even more important. If they found him genuinely hurtful they wouldn't hire him to MC the show. Also the whole show seemed to be about Australian bushfires and climate change and how the effort should be supported. Those people have a serious amount of money. They are willing to donate. Don't bite the hand that helps you. And don't take any notice of Craig Kelly (Interviewed on BBC re the same subject) He's just an apologist for Morrison and his mob. They don't represent the views of millions of Australians on climate change. I didn't vote for them.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:27 PM

It's good when clowns don't draw a salary.

And don't scare kids.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's good when clowns don't draw a salary.

And don't scare kids.
I never liked clowns or circuses.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:58 PM

What about the tears of a Clown.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 12:15 AM

I watched his speech on Youtube but frankly, as much as I like Gervais, I didn't think he was a patch on Tom Gleeson at the Logies.

Even better he won the Gold Logie by which time he was pissed as he didn't expect to win so his acceptance speech was a very funny ad lib.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I think Ricky Gervais is a very funny and clever guy. The best thing he has ever done is "Derek". But I think it would take more than Gervais to seriously dent some of the monumental egos in that room. I think they see him more as a naughty clown hired to "roast" them. People who have that level of self importance love having the p#ss taken out of them. Roasting is the new fawning. Makes them feel even more important. If they found him genuinely hurtful they wouldn't hire him to MC the show. Also the whole show seemed to be about Australian bushfires and climate change and how the effort should be supported. Those people have a serious amount of money. They are willing to donate. Don't bite the hand that helps you. And don't take any notice of Craig Kelly (Interviewed on BBC re the same subject) He's just an apologist for Morrison and his mob. They don't represent the views of millions of Australians on climate change. I didn't vote for them.
I guess that sums it up keezoy, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top