Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Rant Alert! British Gas ... Growl, snarl!!

When I bought this house - light years ago in the 1980s - both the Gas and the Electricity meters were of the 'pay as you go' type. I asked about changing them - it would have cost £350 per meter - so I left them alone and learned to live with them.

To charge the Gas card and the Electricity key I have always gone to Asda. Checked today's readings Electricity was OK but the Gas was running low - so off I go to Asda - only to be told (very politely) that as of 31st Dec Asda are no longer allowed to do it - order from British Gas!!

How dare they just stop a service without any warning? How come they did not inform their customers? Where do I go now to have credit topped up?

Is it a conspiracy to make me have a Smart Meter?
If it is they will be the losers!

Have just accessed their website - not a mention about it on there - but - I did find an email address for complaints. The one I have just sent will probably melt their communication cables.

Aha - automated response just arrived. They have received my email and will endeavour to reply within the next 21 days!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 12:56 PM

Re: Rant Alert! British Gas ... Growl, snarl!!

Considering that the meters belong to the supply company, why were they going to charge you to replace them? The meters are paid for by a standing charge added to your monthly bill.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When I bought this house - light years ago in the 1980s - both the Gas and the Electricity meters were of the 'pay as you go' type. I asked about changing them - it would have cost £350 per meter - so I left them alone and learned to live with them.

To charge the Gas card and the Electricity key I have always gone to Asda. Checked today's readings Electricity was OK but the Gas was running low - so off I go to Asda - only to be told (very politely) that as of 31st Dec Asda are no longer allowed to do it - order from British Gas!!

How dare they just stop a service without any warning? How come they did not inform their customers? Where do I go now to have credit topped up?

Is it a conspiracy to make me have a Smart Meter?
If it is they will be the losers!

Have just accessed their website - not a mention about it on there - but - I did find an email address for complaints. The one I have just sent will probably melt their communication cables.

Aha - automated response just arrived. They have received my email and will endeavour to reply within the next 21 days!
It is a conspirisy ST, But never fear, the electric& gas supplier in
the absence of a smart meter will send a meter reader on a
quarterly basis to your premises to take the readings and all is
arranged from there!
However they will attempt to get you to change meters from then
onwards by means of letters stating that your meter has outlived its
its allotted time span! Ignore all these letters, all will be well!
I have beenntearing these letters up for the last 2yrs?

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Tabby, I can understand how annoyed you must be and I agree it is very bad they haven't let cutomers know about the change.

I thought perhaps you could pay at any local Pay Point instead, so looked it up for you.
Unfortunately, it seems this has also been changed since 1st January this year! I wonder what's going on?

See here:

https://consumer.paypoint.com/

The only other way I can think of is open an online account and pay by debit card that way.

Failing that, maybe it would be better to change suppliers if you don't get any satisfaction from BG.

Strangely, I have spent most of this moring arguing with them about my bill too. I was correct, but they didn't admit it, no apology, but just altered it their end, but at least I got it put right.

Tabby, just found this for you, hope it helps:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-an...s-you-go-meter
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Thank you, Mups, looks like I may use any Post Office - which is good news - but how rude of them not to inform their customers!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tabby, I can understand how annoyed you must be and I agree it is very bad they haven't let cutomers know about the change.

I thought perhaps you could pay at any local Pay Point instead, so looked it up for you.
Unfortunately, it seems this has also been changed since 1st January this year! I wonder what's going on?

See here:

https://consumer.paypoint.com/

The only other way I can think of is open an online account and pay by debit card that way.

Failing that, maybe it would be better to change suppliers if you don't get any satisfaction from BG.

Strangely, I have spent most of this moring arguing with them about my bill too. I was correct, but they didn't admit it, no apology, but just altered it their end, but at least I got it put right.

Tabby, just found this for you, hope it helps:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-an...s-you-go-meter

From your link Mups, they only seem to mention SMART accounts
and SMART cards, so presumably they are herding us towards
a SMART meter?
Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
From your link Mups, they only seem to mention SMART accounts
and SMART cards, so presumably they are herding us towards
a SMART meter?
Regards Donkeyman!

No, I hope not Donkeyman?
When I scrolled down, ti looks like PAYG meters were still useable, unless I have misunderstood.

I agree they are doing their darndest to get everyone onto the wretched Smart meters though.

P.S. Just seen this as wel:

" It's easy to keep your Pay As You Go meter topped up. You just need to take your electricity key or gas card to your nearest PayPoint or Post Office branch."
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No, I hope not Donkeyman?
When I scrolled down, ti looks like PAYG meters were still useable, unless I have misunderstood.

I agree they are doing their darndest to get everyone onto the wretched Smart meters though.

P.S. Just seen this as wel:

" It's easy to keep your Pay As You Go meter topped up. You just need to take your electricity key or gas card to your nearest PayPoint or Post Office branch."
Your right Mups, but you have to go to a pay point? How, once all
pay points are closed, as seems to be happening?
As l said meter readers are still calling on me at the moment?
Iexpecct they are waiting for us dinosaurs to become extinct?
Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

07-01-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Your right Mups, but you have to go to a pay point? How, once all
pay points are closed, as seems to be happening?
As l said meter readers are still calling on me at the moment?
Iexpecct they are waiting for us dinosaurs to become extinct?
Donkeyman!
Post Office, Donkeyman, that is if they haven't closed all them down as well!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Post Office, Donkeyman, that is if they haven't closed all them down as well!
Post office, shmost office PAH!

Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top