Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 05:11 PM

Re: Rant Alert! British Gas ... Growl, snarl!!

Silver Tabby, I was in the same position, and I decided to go for the smart meter approach, and I'm so glad that I did, the meters were put in very quickly and I can now top up on the lap top. I don't use the little box thing that shows you how much you are using, that is just put in a draw unplugged. I also get a Winter Warm Payment from BG and whereas before I had to take this to a Post Office, they now credit my Gas meter direct.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
Silver Tabby, I was in the same position, and I decided to go for the smart meter approach, and I'm so glad that I did, the meters were put in very quickly and I can now top up on the lap top. I don't use the little box thing that shows you how much you are using, that is just put in a draw unplugged. I also get a Winter Warm Payment from BG and whereas before I had to take this to a Post Office, they now credit my Gas meter direct.
Its nice to hear from someone who has had a good experience of
SMART meters Ragdoll l hope the majority get the same experience?
My main objection to this change is that it wiill remove any controll
that the individual still has over their bank account?
Personally l prefer to say when any money is disbursed from my
account not some algorythm,( not sure how to spell it as it is an
invented word?)
Surely l have the right to pay any bills by whatever means l choose
as long as it is legal? ergo, legal tender!
If you are happy, be happy! I am not!
Regards Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
I am genuinely glad that you are happy with your Smart Meter, Ragdoll, but until 'they' make it an criminal offence not to - I will not have one.

I already know to the last 5p how much Gas/Electricity I use per day.
I already know - or am capable of working out - which of my domestic appliances uses the most and at which hour of the day.. I could access my account and top up on-line if I really had to - but - being as my bank account was hacked into earlier this year - it is not something I would wish to do - I do not trust easily. For the same reason I will not pay anything by direct debit.

This is before we even start a conversation about spying and/or health risks that come with the Smart Meters.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 07:39 PM

I don't want a smart meter either. Late OH avoided having one, due to the problems with some & I am the same. Of course they might have made them better now, but I am not going to find out. The meter man reads the meters every so often. I do pay both electric & gas by DD from the same company though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Its nice to hear from someone who has had a good experience of
SMART meters Ragdoll l hope the majority get the same experience?
My main objection to this change is that it wiill remove any controll
that the individual still has over their bank account?
Personally l prefer to say when any money is disbursed from my
account not some algorythm,( not sure how to spell it as it is an
invented word?)
Surely l have the right to pay any bills by whatever means l choose
as long as it is legal? ergo, legal tender!

If you are happy, be happy! I am not!
Regards Donkeyman!
My thoughts exactly Donkeyman, I take my readings every three months and post them on the British Gas website, my accurate bill is available for viewing in just a few minutes. I pay using my card over the internet when I am satisfied the bill is correct. No direct debit nonsense for me either. They do send a meter reader around about once a year to make sure we are singing from the same song sheet.
To be fair, their website is very good.....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When I bought this house - light years ago in the 1980s - both the Gas and the Electricity meters were of the 'pay as you go' type. I asked about changing them - it would have cost £350 per meter - so I left them alone and learned to live with them.

To charge the Gas card and the Electricity key I have always gone to Asda. Checked today's readings Electricity was OK but the Gas was running low - so off I go to Asda - only to be told (very politely) that as of 31st Dec Asda are no longer allowed to do it - order from British Gas!!

How dare they just stop a service without any warning? How come they did not inform their customers? Where do I go now to have credit topped up?

Is it a conspiracy to make me have a Smart Meter?
If it is they will be the losers!

Have just accessed their website - not a mention about it on there - but - I did find an email address for complaints. The one I have just sent will probably melt their communication cables.

Aha - automated response just arrived. They have received my email and will endeavour to reply within the next 21 days!

I have a key meter with British Gas...they gave warning on the receipt..that I would no longer be able to charge my key at this particular newsagents....so I now charge it at..the petrol station.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 12:52 AM

Hi

I am going down the Smart Meter Route.

Suits my home automation and with a Son and Lodgers here, they will be paying the Bills instead of using it for free.

Smart Meters being installed on 5th Feb, I will change supplier the following week
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;1839837]Hi

Suits my home automation and with a Son and Lodgers here, they will be paying the Bills instead of using it for free.

Smart Meters being installed on 5th Feb, I will change supplier the following week[/QUOTE]

Why not change supply first, Swimmy, that way you will be certain the meter is compatible - some aren't.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Smart Meters being installed on 5th Feb, I will change supplier the following week
Your meter will not be comparable with another supplier.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 04:19 PM

We've been plagued by our supplier to have Smart meters installed but so far we've resisted as it's not compulsory. The last time a meter reader came to read our meters I asked about it and he told me that our supplier (nPower) would have had kittens if we'd have agreed because they didn't have enough installers to go round We'd have been waiting for almost a year, if not longer, to have them installed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top