Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Re: Rant Alert! British Gas ... Growl, snarl!!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When I bought this house - light years ago in the 1980s - both the Gas and the Electricity meters were of the 'pay as you go' type. I asked about changing them - it would have cost £350 per meter - so I left them alone and learned to live with them.

To charge the Gas card and the Electricity key I have always gone to Asda. Checked today's readings Electricity was OK but the Gas was running low - so off I go to Asda - only to be told (very politely) that as of 31st Dec Asda are no longer allowed to do it - order from British Gas!!

How dare they just stop a service without any warning? How come they did not inform their customers? Where do I go now to have credit topped up?

Is it a conspiracy to make me have a Smart Meter?
If it is they will be the losers!

Have just accessed their website - not a mention about it on there - but - I did find an email address for complaints. The one I have just sent will probably melt their communication cables.

Aha - automated response just arrived. They have received my email and will endeavour to reply within the next 21 days!
If you use a key then you are paying20% more than some Direct Debit.

If on a smarter meter you will pay less than that.

Sorry but wake up and smell the coffee
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
If you use a key then you are paying2 0% more than some Direct Debit.

If on a smarter meter you will pay less than that.

Sorry but wake up and smell the coffee
No need to be paying with a 'key' or risking being put on a Smart Meter, there are suppliers who do not insist on you having a Smart Meter. Changing supplier is very easy too and you will I expect save money. No need at all to be paying well over the odds by using a 'key', check out the list below:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...Psdx2AJd3tf0eY
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
Silver Tabby, I was in the same position, and I decided to go for the smart meter approach, and I'm so glad that I did, the meters were put in very quickly and I can now top up on the lap top. I don't use the little box thing that shows you how much you are using, that is just put in a draw unplugged. I also get a Winter Warm Payment from BG and whereas before I had to take this to a Post Office, they now credit my Gas meter direct.

Unfortunately Ragdoll your experience is currently NOT REPRESENTATIVE because the energy companies have not yet switched all the billing over to time related Variable Rate Billing.

When they do, I guarantee you will have a very different outlook.

All the energy you use during late afternoon and evening will be charged at a horrendous "peak" rate (which may start modest but be quickly increased from there). So all that TV watching, room lighting, kettle boiling, dinner cooking and so on which happen for most people during that peak period will suddenly cost far far more

In the end you will end up paying a VERY significant increased amount for your energy than you do today.

Unfortunately there is no going back.

Switching to a Smart Meter is a one-way ticket so in the future you like millions of other people are going to have to try and find ways to adapt to the situation.

Under no circumstances would I take a Smart Meter as it is so obvious that the entire project is there for one thing and one thing only and that's to make literally £billions more profit for energy companies and all their cronies.

If my energy company "insists" then I will cancel my contract there and then and choose a different supplier. If we reach the point where no supplier will operate traditional meters then I will become self sufficient with solar panels and the like.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 08:09 PM

I have always used a card and key.

Whether it is more expensive,don't care...at least I know what I'm using.

I don't trust the direct debit way...as it can and has been fiddled....plus I don't have the time to check,my usage...by reading the metre...I wouldn't have a smart meter either.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Your meter will not be comparable with another supplier.
Hi

I am having one of the new smart meters which are compatible.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top