Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Word Spelling not Recognised

I typed the word recognised which is the correct spelling, but I got the red line under it.
Can someone tell me why when I type a perfectly spelt word, I am told it's the wrong spelling. It is driving me mad. Spelt also came with that red line under it.
It happens to a lot of words I noted on other threads also.
WHY!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Re: Word Spelling not Recognised

It's all down to your spell checker I expect, most of these need to go back to school anyway I reckon. With the word 'recognised' it may have been in the spell checker dictionary with a 'z', especially if your spell checker is an American one.

When you get this red line and know the word is correct, as you see it, try allowing the spell checker to correct it and see what you get. That may give you an answer to the problem. I only know Macs so if you are using Windows it probably works the same as on a Mac but I do not know for sure.

I have a battle every day with spell checkers, I have been on keyboards in the printing trade since the early 1980s so do know both how to spell and use a keyboard. Often I turn mine off but the default is for 'on' so the next text I create it's back on again. Should you know how to get into the spell checker dictionary itself you can always change the incorrect words there, then the problem will not occur with that particular word again – with luck that is.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:26 PM

it's because web browsers generally default to a U.S. English dictionary. You have to alter the settings to dump the U.S. dictionary and set up a British English dictionary instead.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:34 PM

Yes Tiff, I think the answer is what has been said above, your spell checker is the American version.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
it's because web browsers generally default to a U.S. English dictionary. You have to alter the settings to dump the U.S. dictionary and set up a British English dictionary instead.
I have just last month set up a MacBook Pro and haven't had problems with the American spellings. In fact I've just tried 'recognise' and it is OK. Using 'recognize' though and the red line appears. Perhaps when setting the Mac up there's an option for the language required so the correct dictionary is used according to that?

What also annoys me is the way spelling substitutions are incorrectly made, for example 'their' instead of 'there', 'too' instead of 'to'. These are errors that no spell checker seems to be able to correct. I've yet to take much notice of the grammar options along with the spell checker, I hate to think what the results of that would be like!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I typed the word recognised which is the correct spelling, but I got the red line under it.
Can someone tell me why when I type a perfectly spelt word, I am told it's the wrong spelling. It is driving me mad. Spelt also came with that red line under it.
It happens to a lot of words I noted on other threads also.
WHY!
Maybe the language your computer thinks you are using.........
I post on a US forum and often get red lined.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:52 PM

I wanna red line, too ...... recognixed .....

Nope, no red line .....

Turn Google Chrome Spell Checker on - above redlined .....

Amend and retry ..... recognised recognized - no red line .....

Turn Google Chrome Spell Checker off - I can live without it .....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 03:55 PM

recognixed

Yep. Red line.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Thanks to all of you for your answers, I guess it is the American spelling that's doing it. Recognized, well what do you know, no red line. I have no idea how to change it, so I'll just live with it.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 05:17 PM

It's in your Browser options, under Language, usually.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top