Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Re: Mattresses

* Susan, did I understand that right - you turned your memory foam mattress over?
I am sure with my one it said you could turn them round - (top to toe - but must not turn them right over?
Have I misunderstood? [/QUOTE]

I turn the mattress around yes , not over. I do it about every 6 weeks .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:05 AM

Memory foam mattresses should not be turned over, they should be turned out the door.

We sleep in separate beds and when new mattress time came round, (we change every five years or so,) we bought a pair of Octospring things.

After a month gave them to the charity shop in66 the next village. We've now gone back to proper mattresses with pocket springs. Pillows? Never wash - change regularly and always in the Autumn.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 01:46 PM

I thought memory foam mattresses and pillows made you sweat? I would never have a memory foam mattress or pillows.

Because we spend a third of our lives in bed, I only buy Vi-Spring beds and mattresses. They are expensive but worth it.
Vi-Spring beds and mattresses are handmade using natural materials such as wool, cotton, horsehair, coir, silk, cashmere, mohair and alpaca fleece rather than synthetic materials and foam.

I have three pillows. Two are Superking size and made of goose feathers. The other one that I have on the top of them is a thin pillow that l bought from Woolworths, years ago.

I think this is why l sleep deeply and like a log every night!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 02:03 PM

Artangel , honestly I can say I've never felt hot or sweaty in my memory foam mattress . I was concerned about that when I bought it . Mine was expensive ( for me) at the time 13 years ago so I guess it's a good one . The mattress has a thick heavy cotton cover that its zipped into which I take off occasionally and wash . Maybe the cotton makes it comfortable . I'd definately buy again .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 02:55 PM

So on the whole, most of us don't worry about buying new mattresses every 8 years like we're advised to.

Jolly good. I will hold onto my pennies a bit longer then.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I replaced my mattress last year, and when I walked into the showroom, I suddenly felt like I was purchasing heavy industrial equipment.

Long gone are the plush, cool mattresses of reasonable depth and weight that can be flipped, rotated, and easily made.

Now they are as thick as they are wide, heavy enough to need a weightlifter to properly tuck in the corners, and tall enough to need a ladder.

Not even my dogs like the aircraft carrier bed that I no longer "sleep in" but rather "lie upon." At least all of my childhood days of camping on the cold hard ground prepared me for something.

Any day now, I expect I will have elbow and knee wear akin to the calluses on my dogs' elbows.'

Mine has a 20 year warranty. Perhaps they think I intend it to be a burial platform?

I'd rather sleep in the hammock.

SM you have just described our bed !
The blooming thing is so deep and heavy it came from John Lewis so it’s bound to last us out
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Memory foam mattresses should not be turned over, they should be turned out the door.

We sleep in separate beds and when new mattress time came round, (we change every five years or so,) we bought a pair of Octospring things.

After a month gave them to the charity shop in66 the next village. We've now gone back to proper mattresses with pocket springs. Pillows? Never wash - change regularly and always in the Autumn.
Why ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
* Susan, did I understand that right - you turned your memory foam mattress over?
I am sure with my one it said you could turn them round - (top to toe - but must not turn them right over?
Have I misunderstood?
I turn the mattress around yes , not over. I do it about every 6 weeks .[/QUOTE]

Why not save energy and just sleep the other way round.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why ?
In the case of the Octospring things they just didn't feel "proper" somehow. Rather than faff around with refunds it was easier to bell the British Heart Foundation place who came and collected them.

Obviously they were pristine and well - it just felt the right thing to do.

Pillows? Just do. One of those things. In the autumn they've had to survive perspiring heads all summer.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Depends on how much exercise the mattress has been subjected to

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top