Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Re: How Ever Did We Get Away With One Bath A Week?

My sister and I were once a week bathers and shared a bath when we were really little. I always had the good end without the taps and plughole because I was the youngest and most sickly.

These days, people expect to have a bath or shower much more frequently and I sometimes wonder if there are too many of us asking too much of the energy resources that keeping clean takes.

Of course, with social distancing being the norm, I don't have to shower so much. If people get close enough to smell me, then they are too close. A sort of 'social distancing' measure I suppose.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Hi

If you go into the rural wilds of SE Asia in Moonsson Season it is hilarious.

It rains more or less the same time everyday, and it is quite warm rain and like standing under a shower.

The littlies are just soaped up and play in the rain.

Job done.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes, l know l started a thread about being bathed in the sink a few weeks ago.

.... but Please tell me. How did we manage to last on one bath a week (usually on a Saturday or a Sunday) in the 1950’s/ 60’s?

These days, many people shower/bath daily. So does that mean, we are dirtier these days and smell more than we did then?
depends on who is in the bath with you
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
My sister and I were once a week bathers and shared a bath when we were really little. I always had the good end without the taps and plughole because I was the youngest and most sickly.
I had forgotten about the competition for the coveted, plug-free end of the tub.

You just made my day for bringing back that memory!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Used to be a strip-wash using a flannel every day and a Saturday night bath (for church and Sunday school the day after). Bath was shared between us three kids in pecking order based on age. Big sis first, then me, and little brother last.

Most houses our way didn't have internal toilets/bathrooms but you could get bathed in the slipper baths at the local swimming pool. Cambridge Rd. Baths in our case - long since gone. The site is now a car park.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:51 PM

I remember Saturday night bath time as a really special event. My gran would gently brush my hair dry. This must have been after my brother took apart the hairdryer for his electronics "studies". Of course he could not put it back together again! Hairdryers were expensive in those days.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->

These days, people expect to have a bath or shower much more frequently and I sometimes wonder if there are too many of us asking too much of the energy resources that keeping clean takes.

Of course, with social distancing being the norm, I don't have to shower so much. If people get close enough to smell me, then they are too close. A sort of 'social distancing' measure I suppose.
A sort of proximity warning device eh mart??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes, l remember the coats were so heavy we couldnt move once
we were in !!

Donkeyman! 😁😁
OMG weren’t they just !
I still have the horrors of it .
That’s why I can’t bear anything tucked in or heavy!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I had forgotten about the competition for the coveted, plug-free end of the tub.

You just made my day for bringing back that memory!

Oh ! You guys were lucky, l was pre plug and tap era !!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:59 PM

Probably daily washing with soap isn’t that good for us .

In days of yore people were sewn into their clothes in winter .

Queen Elizabeth 1st was considered eccentric in her day for bathing once a month whether she needed it or not !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top