Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 07:02 PM

Re: How Ever Did We Get Away With One Bath A Week?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Probably daily washing with soap isn’t that good for us .

In days of yore people were sewn into their clothes in winter .

Queen Elizabeth 1st was considered eccentric in her day for bathing once a month whether she needed it or not !
That's probably why so many Elizabethans carried around pomanders.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 07:08 PM

During my two year stint in the army (National Service) in Singapore I regularly showered twice a day. Once on getting up and once after work on changing out of uniform into civilian clothes. On returning it seemed quite natural to shower every morning and I have done so ever since.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 07:14 PM

I used to live in the tropics and showered at least twice a day .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 08:30 PM

I shower about three times a week ,I think that is plenty ,more and we wash off the PHD from our skin.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Can't answer for my parents but we children were bathed every night before we went to bed - by Nanny when we were very young, then by the housekeeper until old enough to look after ourselves.

It was a ritual - we had to be bathed and in our nightwear, sitting in silence while mother listened to 'The Archers' - then upstairs to bed. Although there was quite a disparity in our ages we were all sent to our rooms as soon as the programme finished. We were allowed to read for a while but not to play.

Edit: I am not suggesting we had anything as sophisticated as a bathroom - we didn't. Just a zinc bath in front of the kitchen range. The brother - being the eldest - went in first, then little sister and me together.

The house was rented and, eventually, the landlord had a bath plumbed in - in the kitchen! It was boxed in and had a hinged lid that covered it completely and could be used as a work top. Not sure if the landlord did that or maybe Dad did - he was good at making things.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:23 PM

I remember the coats piled on the beds, a bath and hair washed on a saturday night, spick and span for sunday school next day, when one bath was run , that took all the hot water
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:28 PM

Without baths we used to 'wash down as far as we could and up as far as we could' with soap and flannel, I don't remember people being any more smelly than they are now.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:32 PM

I don't know, there are some Stinkers about today.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes, l remember the coats were so heavy we couldnt move once
we were in !!

Donkeyman! 😁😁
Same here. Strangely enough, on really cold nights if I put an extra duvet and I get pinned down with it, I sleep a lot better. Must be a memory from childhood.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's probably why so many Elizabethans carried around pomanders.
It was, and the tradition of brides carrying flowers down the aisle is because in days of old people only had a bath maybe once a year and the flowers were to cover any of the bride's odours.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top