Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Re: How Ever Did We Get Away With One Bath A Week?

As a child I live oposite the most moden Swimming Baths in UK at the time use by Schools and Sportsmen with the high diving boards
We were all taught to swim in Junior School, but boys with black necks and feet,and caulflower growing out of their ears were not allowed in the water.
In Senior School I could not wait to go there on Mixed days, especially to duck boys heads under the water
There was a lot of Horse play and nothing sexual about it.
Although Mother was very strict, I was allowed to go as this was excercise.

If you did not have a Bathroom they provided Sauna,Turkish Baths, Slipper Baths and just and a Bat. Towels provided.

Turkish Baths werevery popular with men as they were administered by 'Big Bertha', with arms like Tree Trunks.who used to pummel naked men till they were red all over'
apparentely there wives never did this as they and they just laid there and thought of England!
They could cover their modesty with a small towel, or a large one, if they could not control them selves!

I can't remember anyone with a bad odour as chemicals were not ingested and we all walked everywere, and clothes were sponged down and put on the line to air.

Very few people used Deodorants.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes, l know l started a thread about being bathed in the sink a few weeks ago.

.... but Please tell me. How did we manage to last on one bath a week (usually on a Saturday or a Sunday) in the 1950’s/ 60’s?

These days, many people shower/bath daily. So does that mean, we are dirtier these days and smell more than we did then?
No, but many do suffer with more skin problems and allergies since way back then, probably due to constantly removing the necessary natural bacteria & flora we all need to keep us healthy.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:58 PM

9 of us and one bath and one toilet. I was allowed one bath a week with little water . I washed my hair the same time . I dont remember having deodorant until aged about 16/17 .

I love my baths in the winter with bubbles and candles in a darkened room . I love my showers too . Arnt we lucky

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top