Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 09:57 AM

Lack Of Cruise Passengers?

As a once proud sailor in Britain's Merchant Navy, I was disappointed, to say the least, when the shipping Companies shifted their Registrations abroad, such that their vessels no longer were registered in the UK but in some, often, unheard of places elsewhere.

That meant they could avoid, dare I say, pay practices, health & safety, higher staff salaries, etc.

I wonder if the government will feel obliged to bail them out for the cost of keeping all of those now "Non British Vessels" moored out in the middle of nowhere?

"Who's sorry now" (I think there was a song called that)

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Re: Lack Of Cruise Passengers?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
As a once proud sailor in Britain's Merchant Navy, I was disappointed, to say the least, when the shipping Companies shifted their Registrations abroad, such that their vessels no longer were registered in the UK but in some, often, unheard of places elsewhere.

That meant they could avoid, dare I say, pay practices, health & safety, higher staff salaries, etc.

I wonder if the government will feel obliged to bail them out for the cost of keeping all of those now "Non British Vessels" moored out in the middle of nowhere?

You left out income tax and corporation tax Ted??
Its not only shipping companies that are dodging taxes this way??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

I am not sure that they are moored "in the middle of nowhere", a great number are anchored off the Philippines in "warm" lay up and a lot are up for sale - 16 Carnival liners are for sale I read recently.

Who would go cruising until a Covid vaccine is proved to work? At least in the over 60 age group, you'd need your bumps felt, I suspect it will be the young people with kids who like the cheap holiday that will go back to cruising first.

I doubt they will be back in Australian waters this coming summer after the government ordered them all out of Australian waters in February or March.

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Why should anyone be they an individual or a corporation not take advantage of every and all means of avoiding tax and costs?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why should anyone be they an individual or a corporation not take advantage of every and all means of avoiding tax and costs?
If British Companies put British Employees out of work, then we are allowed to say "Get Stuffed" when they come round pleading for passengers.

Why should any British Taxpayer support anyone who takes advantage by avoiding the tax & costs, of business, and who still looks to those same citizens to bail them out when it goes pear shaped.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure that they are moored "in the middle of nowhere", a great number are anchored off the Philippines in "warm" lay up and a lot are up for sale - 16 Carnival liners are for sale I read recently.

Who would go cruising until a Covid vaccine is proved to work? At least in the over 60 age group, you'd need your bumps felt, I suspect it will be the young people with kids who like the cheap holiday that will go back to cruising first.

I doubt they will be back in Australian waters this coming summer after the government ordered them all out of Australian waters in February or March.

Im surprised that carnival actually own them Brucy, l'd have thought
that they would use the leasing business model like the airlines??
Who will buy them? A scrap merchant maybe !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

21-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I thought you'd pipe up Todgy !!

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 02:51 PM

The English Channel is filling up with laid up cruise liners from Portsmouth to Plymouth according to last night's news. Becoming a bit of a tourist attraction in its own right apparently.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:51 PM

We have Arcadia moored off Southwold.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
The English Channel is filling up with laid up cruise liners from Portsmouth to Plymouth according to last night's news. Becoming a bit of a tourist attraction in its own right apparently.
Their location is listed in that video I put up as well as how and where they have been moved to.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top