Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 08:31 PM

Re: Electric Vehicles

Takes a lot to bet an 'oss innit. At least when the buggers break there's a few good meals to be had.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Some idiot will press a button and obliterate us!
I don't think that's likely Tabby....
Wars in future will be along the lines of Afghanistan, Iraq and the Falklands or governments taken over by stealth. Or even gradually flooded by so called 'Migrants' until there are sufficient numbers to make a difference.

Or alternatively, just cut off a countries supply chain, being as most of our stuff comes from abroad. In the event of a war with France, they would just cut off our electricity....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 09:53 PM

When it comes to electricity this leads to a site that shows a great deal about the real-time use of electricity across the UK.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I was just wondering how we would have done against Germany in the second world war if all our tanks and trucks had been converted to electric?
And what happens to our army of the future when diesels are banned?
You're thinking too small and using early 20th Century minds

Modern cruise ships are electric vehicles, all their propellers are driven by several 10MW electric motors in a pod, the elecricity is generated by a diesel but any engine will do.

One of my sons' ships uses the same pods but powered directly by a diesel engine, because of the complex mechanical arrangements the damn things are always breaking down, if they were electric motors and the diesel powered a generator there would be less problems.

Who knows what will replace diesel? the steam powered Titanic only sank a few years before petrol engined tanks were in action in WWI. Many of us here will remember travelling on holiday in a train pulled by a steam engine. Nothing stays the same
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 09:33 AM

According to the news this evening less than 1% of new car sales are electric cars. They are really only practical in major cities with short commuter journeys (ie Melbourne and Sydney).

The NSW government thas partnered with the NRMA (like your AA) to add 24 new quick charging stations to the 32 the state already has - might be other way round. They are hoping that building the network will encourage people to buy electric cars.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When it comes to electricity this leads to a site that shows a great deal about the real-time use of electricity across the UK.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/
Awesome Todger, Thanks, gone straight into my favourites.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You're thinking too small and using early 20th Century minds

Modern cruise ships are electric vehicles, all their propellers are driven by several 10MW electric motors in a pod, the elecricity is generated by a diesel but any engine will do.

One of my sons' ships uses the same pods but powered directly by a diesel engine, because of the complex mechanical arrangements the damn things are always breaking down, if they were electric motors and the diesel powered a generator there would be less problems.

Who knows what will replace diesel? the steam powered Titanic only sank a few years before petrol engined tanks were in action in WWI. Many of us here will remember travelling on holiday in a train pulled by a steam engine. Nothing stays the same
Didn't know that about cruise ships Bruce but I suppose they have to be seen contributing to effort to save the planet....
I can't ever see electricity ever replacing diesels, not in my lifetime anyway. Diesels are far superior in pulling power, range and economy. The most powerful locomotives in the world are Diesel electrics, and you should know Bruce, you've got most of them down under.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Didn't know that about cruise ships Bruce but I suppose they have to be seen contributing to effort to save the planet....
I can't ever see electricity ever replacing diesels, not in my lifetime anyway. Diesels are far superior in pulling power, range and economy. The most powerful locomotives in the world are Diesel electrics, and you should know Bruce, you've got most of them down under.
I am sure that there was someone at the beginning of the 20th century who said, "I can't see these newfanged cars replacing the horse, the horse is far more reliable and powerful than those noisy, smelly, temperamental petrol engines and they don't need to have a fuel depot every few miles, they just eat grass"
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-10-2020, 11:54 AM

The in-pod electric drives do not reduce the usually awful pollution from large ships which comes from the awful heavy oil that is used. All they do is simplify the drive train and manoeuvrability. The fuel used in these things isn't ordinary diesel fuel, it's horrible sulphur rich grot.

Because of the inefficiencies introduced the pollution per mile is actually increased.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-10-2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am sure that there was someone at the beginning of the 20th century who said, "I can't see these newfanged cars replacing the horse, the horse is far more reliable and powerful than those noisy, smelly, temperamental petrol engines and they don't need to have a fuel depot every few miles, they just eat grass"
Yes I'm sure you're right Bruce and some of those early examples of engines wouldn't have been nearly as good as the old faithful horse.
However, engine technology has come a long way since those early days and has long since put the poor old horse into retirement and now is just used by 'Horsey' people and jockeys....

Perhaps the electric motor (which certainly has its uses besides golf trolleys and fork lift trucks) will progress to eventually replace conventional engines, but I can't see that happening in my lifetime, and for me it will always be the poor alternative to a proper engine...I've a feeling, based on what we know now, that 'Magnetics' might be the direction that electric transport might take. With some kind of track built into new motorways providing drive. Could this possibly be already happening with 'Smart Motorways'......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top